Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser or Strange 12 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser or Strange 12 bolt?

I recently have had problems with my stock 10 bolt, which I figured would happen. I've decided to go with a 12 bolt as I can get my preferred 3.90 ratio, not really interested in doing a ford 9 inch. The car is a daily driver, so I want to keep the trac control and ABS intact. I have researched the Moser and the Strange "complete" rear ends. My desire is to get a nice bolt in to make things go as smoothly as possible. My question is what is everyone's opinions on the two different brands? The Strange setup is a lil cheaper, or so I'm thinking from what I've seen on Spohns website. Also, which carrier is best? Auburn? Tru-trac, or Eaton? I'm looking for opinions of those who've done this in their cars. The car is a 2002 Trans Am, with M6. Very wicked LS1 with well over 400 RWHP, running a LS7 clutch. One hard powershift from 1st-2nd blew something, have not opened up the rear cover yet to inspect, but from the feel of the power under the hood, no 10 bolt is gonna get me the reliability I'm seeking.

Last edited by frez777; 09-14-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I personally chose strange. I've been very happy with it so far:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...t-install.html

I've had some pinion angle issues in the past which has caused some violent wheel hop at the drag strip. I'm convinced if that wheel hop didn't break this 12 bolt, nothing will. Point being, don't let someone talk you out of a 12 bolt. Everyone seems to push 9" or s60s around here.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Teching In

My mechanic talked about the 60, but I want the 3.90 ratio. I don't think it's an option with the dana 60. Which carrier is in that Strange? Where did you get yours at? The stranges are a bit less expensive it appears as well. Very little price difference from the Moser to the Stranges. I'm sure they're both great products, or I would hope so at least.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Thats a Tru-Trac posi. And I bought from Carl @ CRP. He is a sponsor here. I believe Midwest Chassis is a Strange dealer also.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I also went with a Strange 12 bolt. The thing I didn't like about the Moser 12 bolt is how they don't keep the through bolts for the torque arm.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Now everything under my car is factory stock, no upgrades on sway bars, none of that. What's all the hub-bub about lower control arm relocations, etc. I've spent tons of $$$ this year on the thing and at some point I have to draw the line, but only for 2014. I'm a seasonal concrete worker and need to save some of the dollars to eat on over the winter. Anyways, I'm going to continue to research and talk around. I darn near wish I could fix that 10 bolt to get me thru till I could get what I wanted. We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by frez777
Now everything under my car is factory stock, no upgrades on sway bars, none of that. What's all the hub-bub about lower control arm relocations, etc. I've spent tons of $$$ this year on the thing and at some point I have to draw the line, but only for 2014. I'm a seasonal concrete worker and need to save some of the dollars to eat on over the winter. Anyways, I'm going to continue to research and talk around. I darn near wish I could fix that 10 bolt to get me thru till I could get what I wanted. We'll see how it goes.

These cars tend to hook better with the lower control arms parallel to the ground. To do this lower control arm relocation brackets are used and adjustable lower control arms are used. Moser offers the lower control arm relocation brackets as an no charge option. If you don't have adjustable lower control arms you simply use the higher mounting holes. You can also order the standard lower control arm brackets if you don't want the adjustability. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Teching In

go with a Strange, those 4 1/2" bolts for the torque arm won't stay tight on the Moser
Old 09-14-2014, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through all this decision-making.
I wanted a Truetrac 12 bolt. Strange will not offer an assembled one. They said the 33 spline axle fits 'sloppy' in the diff. Others have assembled one themselves with this spline count. Strange doesn't make 30 spline axles long enough (I'm a 3rd Gen). If you want a clutch pack posi or a spool, go with Strange.
The only assembled Truetrac is a Moser unit . DTS would assemble one, but they would use Moser axles - this would be my budget suggestion, but you would have to live with Moser axles .
If you think Strange and Moser are equal, then roll the dice - SEARCH "Chicane" - read alot. Most problems with 12 bolts are not the parts, but in the set-up - agree to a point. Who and how they are set-up is critical! I also don't think all parts are equal, but hey, everyone has an opinion - roll the dice. One poll here had complaints for both companies at 20% each!!
I chose not to roll the dice.
I ordered what I wanted from Mark Williams. This is not a 'drop it down' and 'run it through' kind of operation.
It's your money, spend it the way you want to. Then post up your problems and we'll try to help you.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Not long winded, just to the point. I've had my Moser for years.... and hate it! It's a fat bitch and wines like hell. The would NOT work with me to fix the problem. I will never purchase their products again.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Strange 12-bolt is as close to the factory 10-bolt as you're going to find for bolt-in ease. The Moser's torque arm bracket is crap. And their build reputation is pretty poor.

Strange has a pretty good reputation with the S60 and 12-bolt. If you don't need the beef of the S60 and have the money, a fabricated 9" might be the best option. But the Strange 12-bolt, for automatic cars, is probably tough enough.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Who is Mark Williams first of all, lol. Second of all, search out the word "chicane"? Did that, not sure what that was except for the dictionary definition for the word. Now you talk about "set-up", are you talking about how it's installed in the vehicle, or the actual carrier installation inside the diff?
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark Williams is a rearend compnent manufacturer in Colorado, and is on the high end on cost. Quality is great, but compared to Strange I do not feel the cost difference is worth it. MW has some different engineering ideas on their products and it is just that... ideas. Obviously the products Strange makes are some of the best you can get, and dollar for dollar is the best you can get IMHO.

Chicane is a member here, and must have some experience with the differences in the 12 bolt rears.

"set up" is most commonly referred to as the actual gear setup in the housing. The gear install is the most important part of the whole deal, and needs to have great attention to make it right.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Teching In

The guy who installed my ring & pinion is a perfectionist and has installed hundreds of sets of gears. When he did mine, he said he actually got it "dead on" as far as pinion depth, but that was in my 10 bolt. I had over 2,500 miles on the rear end, BUT, then I took it in and got it built, then it was just one powershift to do something to it. I'm wondering if there is any chance that it could be patched so I could drive it this fall. I'm also going to call Midwest Chassis and see how long it would take them to assemble a Strange 12 bolt for me, I could go pick it up at their plant as I'm about 3 hours from them. My big thing is here in Michigan, it's gonna be icy and snowy soon, and I want to drive the car more this fall before I store it for the winter. But thank you for the info about these guys. This car is around 405 HP right now, I may do heads and more induction next year, which would increase of power i"m sure but I still think a nicely done Strange 12 bolt would handle most abuse. I would say my car is 99% street use, 1% dragstrip use.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric and MWC will give you a great set-up. It sounds like you should go with the clutch pack posi (#600 springs). Strange components and their set-up and you will be happy.
I am not a guru or an industry insider. I like to think I'm an informed consumer. I knew exactly what I wanted, but had difficulty finding that, so I had to learn more.
Yes, Chicane is a member (Lat-g, Chevelle, etc.). Worth searching and reading his stuff.
Yes, Mark Williams is more high-end, cost me about $500 more. Their axles are the best - custom made and have serial numbers, everything in-house (it matters on the tolerances for the housing ends) with all the little things that add up. I figured it was worth it. I'm an original owner and will never sell it.
Without getting into an e-fight, I think he's downplaying MW. But he is in competition with them (not direct) and he's a Strange dealer - FWIW. With all that said, you can trust them to set it up (critical part) for you. I contacted him too, when I was looking.
Please post a conclusion post when it's under the car. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Moser or Strange 12 bolt?