Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

how hard to change rear end gears?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how hard to change rear end gears?

I bought a set and would like to save on the install charges. I have taken a set of rear end gears out before so i know how they go together and all, so i feel confident that i could do it. but dont they have to be dialed back in or something like that? how exactly is the swap done? and can i do it myself? and how?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This would be better answered in the gear and axles section. I'd HIGHLY reccomend getting them installed professionally. The angles, backlash, and other crap has to be set exactly, or it may cause lots of noise, excess wear, and even rear end and drivetrain damage.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbjones81
I bought a set and would like to save on the install charges. I have taken a set of rear end gears out before so i know how they go together and all, so i feel confident that i could do it. but dont they have to be dialed back in or something like that? how exactly is the swap done? and can i do it myself? and how?
they are easy to install but hard to set up properly if you have never done it before.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Default .

advice taken, about how much is the going rate for the ring and pinion install?? im not taking it to a big speed shop or anything, just a small mechanics business.

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
they are easy to install but hard to set up properly if you have never done it before.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbjones81
advice taken, about how much is the going rate for the ring and pinion install?? im not taking it to a big speed shop or anything, just a small mechanics business.
probably around 250-300bucks,dont do it halfway or you will be back there shortly getting another set.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've done my own gears and I can tell you first hand don't do it yourself unless you are just dead set on learning. It wasn't difficult but I took my time to make sure I had the proper backlash and pattern. I can't tell you how many times I assembled the gears only to take them back out to add or remove a shim.

I would also be weary of taking them to a small shop unless they have a great reputation for installing gears.

Quick Reply: how hard to change rear end gears?