Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Desperate here: Need new axle seal for Moser 12 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Desperate here: Need new axle seal for Moser 12 bolt

Yes, I also posted this in ZL1Killa's post. https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...e-brake-2.html

I'm desperate in getting my car back on the road again. No one around here really knows how to work on my car, but me (the guy at NAPA yesterday didn't even know that a Trans Am was a Firebird lol).

Long story short: I noticed my axle was leaking from the e-brake. Moser gave me a part number for a seal that I thought I needed (Chicago rawhide #15141 to be exact). I ordered the part from NAPA....Part came in...I took my rear-end apart to change the seal...that was when I realized the new seal was not the same as the one I thought I needed to replace (the one I thought needed to be replaced is the one that sits in the tube, so I pulled that one out). Lo and behold, I have pulled out a different seal that I now need...and I have a new seal that I don't have any idea where it is supposed to go.....Is this the correct seal that I need to put back in at least to make things somewhat the way they used to be?? --->

Amazon.com: Timken 8460N Seal: Automotive Amazon.com: Timken 8460N Seal: Automotive

Well, I ordered it anyway because I'm running out of options and no one seems to know how to help me.

I also tried to contact Seals-it seals to get seals like the ones ZL1killa has.
This is the response I got from them:

"Rear end housing are all over the map as far as dimensions.

We really need to know the axle O.D.

And housing ID to get proper seals for application"

What exactly do you they mean by housing O.D.?

Where would I be able to find that kind of information? How would I be able to find the Housing ID for my Moser 12 bolt axle?

Also, is there a certain way I am supposed to pull the ring and pinion parts out of the "pumpkin" to install the Seals-it seal? I don't want to make things worse by doing this ....

Someone please help! My car is sitting out in the open with no fluid in the rear because I have run out of options.

Last edited by kingandrew99; 12-31-2014 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Needed to update the link
Old 12-31-2014, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Why are you asking us? Call Moser or a Moser dealer and have them give you exact part numbers.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Unhappy Calling Moser

I tried calling them once and they gave me the wrong part # already. I guess I will try again ...
Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

They dont know their own part numbers? Sheesh.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Teching In

I don't know if it's that, or if they misunderstood me and the part that I needed. The part number they gave me is for a seal...and I have it...I just don't know what seal it is. Maybe they gave me the part number to a seal that they thought I needed but it turns out it's not the one I was thinking of?? I'm not sure. I will call them tomorrow since I doubt they are open on New Years day.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Do you have pictures of what you are dealing with exactly? Did you look at the old seal you took out for part numbers?

Last edited by LLLosingit; 01-01-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:30 AM
Teching In

Yessir, the one I pulled out looks just like the attached thumbnail.

The one that I ordered with given Moser part # looks just like the one in this link:

http://www.skfextranet.com/catalogs/...il.asp?s=15141

Also, the old seal did not have any numbers on it.
Attached Thumbnails Desperate here: Need new axle seal for Moser 12 bolt-12-bolt-seal-pic.jpg  
Old 01-02-2015, 07:43 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingandrew99
I also tried to contact Seals-it seals to get seals like the ones ZL1killa has.
This is the response I got from them:

"Rear end housing are all over the map as far as dimensions.

We really need to know the axle O.D.

And housing ID to get proper seals for application"

What exactly do you they mean by housing O.D.?
My car has a Strange 12-Bolt, but I think the parts are similar to the Moser. The Strange has two seals, an inner oil seal and an outer grease seal. From the picture you posted, it looks like you're looking for the inner seal.

When you ask about the axle OD and housing ID, those are quite easy to find. For the SKF seal you listed, it shows a shaft diameter of 1.500", and an OD of 2.502/2.506". You'll need to measure the OD of your axle where the seal rides, and the ID of the housing end where the seal sits inside.

But even after reading all of this I'm still not sure exactly which seal you're looking for.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Default Called Moser a 2nd time

Spoke to Ken and this is the info he gave me:

The seal I need is National Seal # 473229. It's supposed to be from a 73-79 Mercury Cougar.

The Axle ID is 1.500

The Housing ID is 2.625 with a 3 inch outside diameter.

John, from Seals-It, says he didn't mean to type OD as that was a typo.

I will order these parts and let you all know the results.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Post Ordered

JEGS part #: 555-62720

Auto Zone Part #: 473229

This is what I ended up ordering. Once parts arrive, I will keep you guys updated on the install and how it worked out.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Teching In

I put everything back together yesterday. I would have posted pics or videos but I was running short on time to get my car out of that shop (I was paying daily storage rates for my car just sitting there). The only issue I had was that the seals-it seal on the driver's side didn't go all the way in, so I stuffed it in there the best I could. the rubber seal part of the seal took place of a couple of shims for the axle ring part. I don't perceive it to be a problem unless the fluid disintegrates the rubber. I filled the pumpkin up to where I could stick my pinky in the fill hole and feel down to where the top of the oil is.

Also, I could not get a hold of any gear marking compound on this island. I figured it would be easily accessible at NAPA, which is why I didn't mail order any. Apparently I was wrong again. I guess no one on this island has any experience with it?? I could not figure out a good alternative so right now I'm going of prayers and God's good grace that my gears are "grabbing" the right way.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Default whining gears

My gears are whining too much. I'm gonna have to take it all apart and make it right again. Went ahead and ordered some of this:
Amazon.com: ACDelco 10-5055 Gear Marking Compound - 1 oz: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 10-5055 Gear Marking Compound - 1 oz: Automotive

Now I just have to wait until it comes in so I can do it right.

I need to:
1. peel off the excess rubber from the drivers side seals-it seal.
2. put the shims in where they are setting the ring to meet just right on the pinion.
3. Use the gear marking compound to make sure it's right...
Old 03-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Teching In

And here we go again. Everything was working just fine until just recently the axle has started leaking from the passenger side again (it's leaving my passenger rear rim all oily and dirty). I refilled he pumpkin to 2 bottles of axle fluid last time and I guess it was still too much. What if I replaced the same tube seal, again, and also replace the bearing parts on that side? How much do the bearings affect whether or not there will be leakage? Do worn out bearing cause leakage? Also, does anyone have a link to a video with instruction on how to replace the bearings? I have no clue how to do this. I'm gonna get this thing to stop leaking if it's the last thing I do.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Youll need a new wedding ring for that job because you have to cut it off.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Any updates?

Quick Reply: Desperate here: Need new axle seal for Moser 12 bolt