LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Gears & Axles (https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles-15/)
-   -   Why did my rear sway bar bushing do this??? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/1783470-why-did-my-rear-sway-bar-bushing-do.html)

josh4ku 04-29-2015 05:11 PM

Why did my rear sway bar bushing do this???

1 Attachment(s)
Why did my sway bar bushing do this? Not many miles.

01ssreda4 04-29-2015 07:01 PM

Dayum :eek:. Ive never seen that before....

projectX 04-29-2015 07:25 PM

Wtf....

FirstYrLS1Z 04-29-2015 08:04 PM

what brand ?

josh4ku 04-29-2015 08:11 PM

It's a bmr extreme sway bar

blackandgold 04-29-2015 08:14 PM

Looks like they may have been overtighted and not lubricated from the get go. Also interested in the brand.

ssvert99 04-30-2015 08:25 AM

That is a real life issue with poly. Just another reason why we don't use it in our anti-roll bars and other performance suspension items. Poly binds suspension worse than factory rubber.

MyFirstLS1 04-30-2015 08:54 AM

looks like either no lube or the wrong lube that just ate away at it and slowly overtime just split the center

BMR Tech2 04-30-2015 12:40 PM

I have seen this a few times. This is usually cause from a combination of exposure to heat and a petroleum based liquid. I will send you new bushings, just PM me your info. But I would try to figure out where this is coming from and fix it before it takes out another one.
I had a local friend having the same issue with his. Once I got under his car I realized he had his exhaust pointed straight at the bushing and he is on e85. The bushings did not care much for that situation.
Also make sure you are using a fully synthetic grease on these bushings. Like I stated, petroleum breaks down polyurethane. There is nothing wrong with using polyurethane properly. There is just science to it. We have learned to adapt our products to work with them instead of just avoiding it. The end result is a much more street friendly part with less NVH transfer and in the case of an anti-roll bar no bind that is commonly associated with lever arm style bars that break on the street.

josh4ku 05-01-2015 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=BMR Tech2;18782274]I have seen this a few times. This is usually cause from a combination of exposure to heat and a petroleum based liquid. I will send you new bushings, just PM me your info. But I would try to figure out where this is coming from and fix it before it takes out another one.
I had a local friend having the same issue with his. Once I got under his car I realized he had his exhaust pointed straight at the bushing and he is on e85. The bushings did not care much for that situation.
Also make sure you are using a fully synthetic grease on these bushings. Like I stated, petroleum breaks down polyurethane. There is nothing wrong with using polyurethane properly. There is just science to it. We have learned to adapt our products to work with them instead of just avoiding it. The end result is a much more street friendly part with less NVH transfer and in the case of an anti-roll bar no bind that is commonly associated with lever arm style bars that break on the street.[/QUOTh

Thanks BMR.