Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end leaking, not sure what area exactly? pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end leaking, not sure what area exactly? pics included.

I am noticing some fluid leaking from the rear differential for my 1999 Camaro SS 6-speed with approximately 60k km (37k miles). I am not entirely sure if it is coming from the cover, or if it is coming from where the axle meets the differential (mechanic seems to think that it is leaking here).

I have included some pics.

Any advice on what it would take to fix this leak especially if it is coming from where the axle meets the differential?

What type of fluid are you guys using in the rear end?

I believe this car has the 3.27 gears.

Name:  IMG_20150526_163902_zpsevzmznfv.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  169.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20150526_163932_zpsafi3zkbz.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  179.0 KB
Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The diff cover looks stained to me, maybe clean it and anywhere else you think it's leaking with break cleaner and check for leaks after a few drives. If the mechanic is suggesting the axle tubes are leaking I would get them welded by a exhaust shop, not a bad idea for a 10 bolt weather it's leaking or not. The rear seal is a common leak area on these cars, u can also check to fill plug. If the diff cover is leaking I would get an aftermarket one, it will add some strength to your rear end as well.

80w90 non synthetic gear lube in mine

Quick Reply: rear end leaking, not sure what area exactly? pics included.