Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3 series and 4 series swap.. need help

Old 06-07-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 series and 4 series swap.. need help

Well i didnt realize my 98 rear on my a4 was a 3 series. The spare outta a 02 M6 was a 4 series.

I want to keep abs but my posi in my 3 series rear is about shot(hense the reason for swappin). Plus i'd like to have a 3.42 gear instead of the 3.23's anyway. I doubt i'd say a gain, but i might as well since the rear was free

question.. can i swap the posi and 3.42's outta the 4 series rear and place that into the 3 series? I just want to still have ABS. I just wanted to make sure that ring that the ABS uses to read will work with that 4 series carrier and all?

Ill probably see which axles look better and use those also

thanks for any help..
Old 06-08-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

HD,

When we blew the rear in the Firehawk...we swapped the guts from a 4-channel rear that Burbanman had into our rear (3 channel). Tuan <sp?> aka meangreen over on EFA did it. (He's working up at FBC so either him or Jason should be able to give you more technical info on it).

So basically...yes it can be done as long as you're just swapping guts and not the whole housing. We swapped posi...everything...cause well...I don't think we had a part that wasn't damaged in the rear.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

i take you still have abs and all also correct

if i didnt want the abs I would put that 02 rear in and be done with it. Im not worried about the gears really. Just wanna get a somewhat new posi in there If i gotta order a new posi is somewhat facks over me putting a free spare in LMAO

thanks for the info
Old 06-08-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Yup, still had abs. It's too much of a street car still to give up abs.

Search this Thread