Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9in, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9in, a few questions

So theres gunna be a mix of topics in this but all relating to a moser 9 inch which ive had in my car for about 5 years now and its a DD, so out of the repairs/maintence ive done on it ix like a bit better understanding on a few things.

First issue i had was i, 110% my fault, bent an axle shaft, so when i got my new shaft (which fit fine) i got the wrong bearings, but yet where the same ones on the other side, so now i have 2 differnt style bearings on my car, that being said i now have to replace my axle seal on one side.

The side that needs a seal has the type of bearing where its two races and a roller pack that get put together when u tighten down the 4 axle bolts, the axle seal is between the bearing and the hub, so what i can tell i have to press/cut the bearing back off to put a new seal in? Is this correct?

Now from what i remember, which ill be looking at today, the other side has the axle seal pressed into the housing and then sort of a self sealed wheel bearing that gets put into the flange of the axle housing, with that bearing being pressed on to the shaft.

With all that, can some one explain the reason of change, is one a better design then other in terms of longevity? Atm i prefer the seal in housing and self sealed bearings cause they seem to last way longer but

Also, does any one have actuall part numbers for the bearings/seals i was discribing above?

Do i have to keep two differnt style bearings since i have, i beleive 2 diff axle shafts from what i remeber, i took to work and one measured a few thousand thicker then the other where the bearing rode.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is somewhat not surprising but...

First thing is the tapered style bearing and the ball/roller style is not the same width on the inner race, which changes the axle flange offset. Be careful of switching out the type of bearing as this will affect how the brake rotor aligns to the caliper.

Next issue is what axle shaft diameter you have at the bearing journal. There is a 1.531 and a 1.562 size available, The tapered style bearing is only available in 1.562 ID. The other bearings(ball or roller type) are available in either shaft size.

I have ran into a few Moser axles that had the spacing manufactured incorrect and required work on a lathe to correct.

The tapered bearing is Timken set 20. I am not sure if this bearing will work with the internal seal on the Moser ends as the wedding ring would possibly contact it.

The ball or roller type is RW508DR 1.531, and RW508ER for 1.562. These bearings will not have the o-ring on the OD and require the internal seal. The ball/roller type axle bearings from Strange and Moser will have the o-ring on the outside.

I stock all the bearings and seals needed for any of this.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok cool, thank you for the info!! i plan on getting the car on stands when i get off and ill take some measurements, see what i got on what side and figure out what bearing/seal is going on what side lol.

is there a recommendation for which bearing for autocross/road race vehicle? hard cornering is what im getting at i guess, that would last longer
Old 09-04-2015, 09:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Either will work but I would strongly suggest the Timken Set 20 tapered type for street and autocross/road course use. We setup all of our rearends with the tapered bearings unless it is a dedicated drag car.

Quick Reply: Moser 9in, a few questions