Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stock 10 bolt.. Progressively worse howling/humming

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock 10 bolt.. Progressively worse howling/humming

I've been experiencing progressively worse roaring/humming/howling from my rear end since it was installed.. Crappy thing about it is that my old rear end locked up and the housing was damaged beyond repair.. So I paid 1000 dollars (parts and labor) for a junkyard, stock rear end that the shop owner found. I didn't have much choice because the car is my DD and I needed it back on the road ASAP. Anyways... Got the car done and now the replacement rear end was making a whirring sound.. And now, 3 months later, The POS junkyard rear end starts howling.. Becoming worse and worse, it having started doing this the past month. It's very loud now.. The noise is present when I'm in any gear, but only when off of the clutch, accelerating or decelerating. If I put the clutch in, or put in neutral, the sound disappears... It's the loudest at low range RPMS... 1st-3rd gears cause the most noise. I can cruise on the highway in 6th and the sound becomes a little more faint if I get it to about 1800 RPM.. Any thoughts on this ? Axles or gears worn? Could it just be bearings on the pinion gear? Or possibly all rear end bearings? No grinding present....
Old 09-29-2015, 07:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds to me like it is the ring and pinion but it's going to need to be inspected, to see if the location of the noise can be pinpointed. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-30-2015, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Default Differential capacity

I've got a 2002 WS-6 auto. I want to change the gear lube in the diff. Would somebody please tell me the capacity. I'm going to be getting it from the dealer along with the Limited-Slip additive. Thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Bout 2 quarts
Old 10-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Bout 2 quarts
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:10 AM
Staging Lane

Well, Bob.... The Z28 is my DD so I had to grab a rear end out of a junkyard and get it back on the road asap.. The junk rear end that they put in had a whirling noise initially.. ... Then it randomly began roaring and humming in gear during acceleration and deceleration.. ... I want to learn how to fix a rear end by myself... But I'm not sure If I'd need special tools.. I'm tempted to just remove the cover and start to loosen bolts until I can remove some kind of gear.... lol. IDK what to do. It sounds like I'm driving a go-cart, everywhere I go. You can easily hear the rear end howling while it passes you..

Last edited by MeatL0af; 11-06-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

so this'll be the 2nd 'junkyard' rear. do you know what year the 1st 'junkyard' was out of,also same question for the 2nd one.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

I haven't gone to get a 2nd junked one... My last one was the original. The junkyard rear end was recently installed (the original broke and somehow, when it did go out, it damaged the housing beyond repair) and was out of an 01 I believe... Didn't say SS or Z28, but my spedo reads 3mph less than actual speed now... It has ASR and ABS and haven't had any issues in that regard. I think the gears might be a tad higher.. Like maybe 3.42's, out of an SS... But to clarify... This is the first replacement of the rear end in my z28. It came from a junkyard and it's acting up, as I described above..

Quick Reply: Stock 10 bolt.. Progressively worse howling/humming