Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New Firebird owner and new member rear end questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Firebird owner and new member rear end questions

Hi everyone I decided to finally stop lurking the forms and join being that I'm am a proud new owner of a 2000 Firebird. Since I bought this car from an auction it has had rear end grinding problems the mechanic that was at the auction house that sold me the car said it needed rear bearings and that's it. But being it IT security you can't trust anyone so I tried to get a local shop to look at it. Unfortunately the shop I took it too didn't really look around too good but they say I need an entire rear differtial? And i thought that was kind of excessive but here is the part that I could use the advice on get a whole new rear end or replace the wheel bearings? I will be using this car to go back and forth to work with an 2hr commute daily so the quicker it's up and running the better.

Also there are alot of things I planned on doing to this car and I will have it for a long time so in the long run is it worth it?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

First,need specifics of the vehicle. model of firebird ? V6 or V8 ? stick or auto ? mileage ? any damage ?
more remarks will follow once that info is supplied.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
First,need specifics of the vehicle. model of firebird ? V6 or V8 ? stick or auto ? mileage ? any damage ?
more remarks will follow once that info is supplied.
V6 auto 138,000 miles and no real damage other than cosmetic and the rear end noise it didn't look like he hit anything.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to do the work yourself? It's relatively easy to pull the axles to check the axle bearings or if you have a shop you trust. If the bearings are bad you'll also need new axles as they serve as the bearing inner race. IMO stay away from 'axle saver' bearings.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Unless it has a V6 performance option,the rear is 'open' non-posi with 3.08 gears. Bad gears would have a 'grinding' sound. Bad bearings would have a 'growling' sound.
There are 6 bearings in that rear. 2 pinion bearings-inner support large and outer small. 2 carrier bearings. 2 axle bearings that the axles ride in.
Gears are the 3.08 gearset and the differential 'spiders'.
Does the 'noise' sound like it's centered in the rear or more to outside ends indicating axle bearings ?
Old 10-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by guppymech
Are you going to do the work yourself? It's relatively easy to pull the axles to check the axle bearings or if you have a shop you trust. If the bearings are bad you'll also need new axles as they serve as the bearing inner race. IMO stay away from 'axle saver' bearings.
I doubt I will be doing doing the work other than the electrnoics and some other interior stuff. So for good measure I should get an entire rear axle instead?

something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-Firebird-10-Bolt-Rear-End-3-42-Gears-w-Disc-Brakes-Non-TCS-Used-/291578784207?fits=Model%3AFirebird
Old 10-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Unless it has a V6 performance option,the rear is 'open' non-posi with 3.08 gears. Bad gears would have a 'grinding' sound. Bad bearings would have a 'growling' sound.
There are 6 bearings in that rear. 2 pinion bearings-inner support large and outer small. 2 carrier bearings. 2 axle bearings that the axles ride in.
Gears are the 3.08 gearset and the differential 'spiders'.
Does the 'noise' sound like it's centered in the rear or more to outside ends indicating axle bearings ?

It sounds like its more towards the rear outside indicating that it may be the axle bearings. Or at least I think so
Old 10-03-2015, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

It could be to your advantage to get a complete rearend as in your post #6 but first you have to determine if your current rear is 3 channel ABS only OR 4 channel ABS & Traction Control.
Any rearend you acquire that is not from a standard V6 will be changing the ratio and will require 'tuning' to correct speedometer and shift points.
Rearends that are 2.73 and 3.23 are from automatics. Rearends from 6 speeds are 3.42 and typically show abuse
Old 10-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Ok i will check it out how much do you think this job will cost me?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

You can buy just the axles and axle bearings you don't need to change the whole rear end unless I'm missing something. Call around and get quotes from some shops. Rock auto has axles and bearings for less than $300.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Ok I checked and I do have traction control also Rock Auto's website doesnt look like they have rear axles other than the one, im not sure what you meant they have axles for under $300? because that is exactly my price range I only see the one rear axle for 1,200 or are you saying that Rock auto has this:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=537&jpid=2

I have one more question If I were to get a new rear end would I still be able to keep my disc brakes? because that is what I have on there now some of the other ones have drums. I thought I would just replace the rear wheel assembly and just be good but you guys are having me think other wise. I have been looking around but I cant find rear wheel hub assemblies? trying to get this car up so I can get too and from work so I can put more money into it.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Teching In

It could be to your advantage to get a complete rearend as in your post #6 but first you have to determine if your current rear is 3 channel ABS only OR 4 channel ABS & Traction Control.
Any rearend you acquire that is not from a standard V6 will be changing the ratio and will require 'tuning' to correct speedometer and shift points.
Rearends that are 2.73 and 3.23 are from automatics. Rearends from 6 speeds are 3.42 and typically show abuse
Do you really feel that getting an whole new rearend is the best move? I have checked on Ebay and saw that the lower priced ones have drum brakes and I have Disc brakes and I like those better. Would it be wise to get new bearings or maybe I can get my current rear end rebuilt?

it looks like I have 4 channel ABS & Traction NW9 I think was the code.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Teching In

I did find an whole rear assembly here:

http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...86cb&seq_num=2

but If I am going to be spending this much I wanted to see what other options I have so I have seen online a few places of people swapping in a 10 or 12 bolt rear. Should I consider using one of these instead of getting the one from automotix? let me know
Old 10-05-2015, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

No,I don't feel that getting a whole new(replacement) rearend is the best move. I was just answering your question in your post #6. "So for good measure I should get an entire rear axle instead?"

V6s' 1998 and later had rear disc brakes. It's best to stay with a 1998 + later(V6 + V8) rear in your search if you decide to take that route.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

The axles (2ea) fit into the rear end and the wheels bolt to them. Go to rock auto and look at axle shaft.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Teching In

No,I don't feel that getting a whole new(replacement) rearend is the best move. I was just answering your question in your post #6. "So for good measure I should get an entire rear axle instead?"

V6s' 1998 and later had rear disc brakes. It's best to stay with a 1998 + later(V6 + V8) rear in your search if you decide to take that route.
Ah ok do you agree with guppymech? that the axle shafts maybe what I am I need also it looks like I will need two one for the left and one for the right. I did not really want to replace the rear if I do not have too but I will if necessary. it is sort of like a howling noise instead of a grinding and it is definitely coming from the rear. I am not too mechanically inclined so is there anything else I should get along with it? for good measure not including the pads and rotors.

Thanks I just want to make sure I get the right part and that it works
Old 10-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by guppymech
The axles (2ea) fit into the rear end and the wheels bolt to them. Go to rock auto and look at axle shaft.
Oh ok Thanks also I just need the two axles? no bearings or whatever? I know I need new rotors and pads soon
Old 10-06-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

IF axles are the cause of the noise,their surfaces where they ride in the bearings is deteriorated,so the bearings should be replaced too. As guppymech said in post#4,DO NOT GET/USE 'AXLE SAVER' BEARINGS.
The timing of the noise/growl,is it in time with tire rotation or is about 3 times for tire rotation. If it's in time with tire rotation,it'll be axle or carrier bearings. If it's about 3 times the frequency of tire rotation,then it's pinion bearings.
For an axle bearing to come out,the seal will have to come out too.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Teching In

IF axles are the cause of the noise,their surfaces where they ride in the bearings is deteriorated,so the bearings should be replaced too. As guppymech said in post#4,DO NOT GET/USE 'AXLE SAVER' BEARINGS.
The timing of the noise/growl,is it in time with tire rotation or is about 3 times for tire rotation. If it's in time with tire rotation,it'll be axle or carrier bearings. If it's about 3 times the frequency of tire rotation,then it's pinion bearings.
For an axle bearing to come out,the seal will have to come out too.
So I will be getting these axle shafts I should be good right?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=454&jpid=2

Axle bearings
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=455&jpid=2

And this
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=456&jpid=1
Old 10-10-2015, 08:02 AM
TECH Veteran

The axle link you show indicates it comes with axle bearing,axle shaft seal,studs,and lug nuts. Why are you linking extra bearings and seals ?

In your post #11 you stated you have Traction Control. The picture in the axle link does not appear to be machined to accept the reluctor/tone rings needed for traction control.

Name:  34channelaxles.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  59.5 KB

Quick Reply: New Firebird owner and new member rear end questions