Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Buying used 12 bolt without backing plates

Old 11-25-2015, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Buying used 12 bolt without backing plates

Wanting to buy a used strange 12 bolt, which previously had strange rear brakes on it. How do I go about getting my stock backing plates on? Cut the bearings off and contact strange for new ones? Sorry if the question sounds silly and simple. Just not sure how many different bearing styles there are etc.. Do I just contact strange and tell them what I need? Thanks a bunch for any replies
Old 11-25-2015, 12:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SteenH
Wanting to buy a used strange 12 bolt, which previously had strange rear brakes on it. How do I go about getting my stock backing plates on? Cut the bearings off and contact strange for new ones? Sorry if the question sounds silly and simple. Just not sure how many different bearing styles there are etc.. Do I just contact strange and tell them what I need? Thanks a bunch for any replies
The bearings will have to be removed so the stock backing plates can be on then the new bearings pressed on. Is this with street/strip axles or the race axles?

Carl
Old 11-25-2015, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They're just the street/ strip axles. I'll have to make sure I contact strange before I make the 22 hour one way drive for this thing.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes youll need to cut the bearing and wedding rings off. Youll need an adapter if your car has traction control and youd like to keep it and abs. The reluctor ring goes on an aluminum adapter so it fits the strange axle. I just pulled my stock brakes in favor of strange brakes so I got to go through my first time of cutting almost brand new bearings. If you are comfortable and confident with a air cut off wheel it is not difficult at all to do and doesnt take long. When you get 4/5ths through the ring or inner bearing race they have so much tension on them they just about crack apart on their own. Here is some reference pictures:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...cs-vids-9.html

An exploded view of the axle components is also here, and you get a better look at the reluctors and the aluminum adapters they are on:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...t-install.html
Old 12-02-2015, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

An exploded view of the axle components is also here, and you get a better look at the reluctors and the aluminum adapters they are on:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...t-install.html
Thanks a lot for this thread . It will be helpful for me and my swap and build if need be.

Question, whats the major difference between the Strange 12 bolt and the Moser? Noticeable differences?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Only difference I know off hand is the centers are cast a little different and the torque arm bolts thread into the moser where they go through the strange just like stock. Also I dont know if moser has the grease fittings on the wheel bearings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying used 12 bolt without backing plates