Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Building a 9" and have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building a 9" and have some questions.

I have a 70 Chevelle that makes about 1200 rwhp and weighs about 3400. I had concerns about breaking the 12 bolt so I want to build a 9". I have narrowed a few rears before but this is my first complete build. I already have a 4WD housing and replaced the tubes with 1/4" wall DOM tubing and plan to brace the back of the housing. Should I tig weld all of it together or mig it? Before I weld the tubes and brace should I prewarp it before I weld?

Center section, I would like to use an aluminum case but will they hold up to the power and weight I have? Also noticed there are quite a few out there, Strange, Yukon, and Moser to name a few, any of them better than others??

Axles, 35 spline sufficient?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TDMKR496
I have a 70 Chevelle that makes about 1200 rwhp and weighs about 3400. I had concerns about breaking the 12 bolt so I want to build a 9". I have narrowed a few rears before but this is my first complete build. I already have a 4WD housing and replaced the tubes with 1/4" wall DOM tubing and plan to brace the back of the housing. Should I tig weld all of it together or mig it? Before I weld the tubes and brace should I prewarp it before I weld?

Center section, I would like to use an aluminum case but will they hold up to the power and weight I have? Also noticed there are quite a few out there, Strange, Yukon, and Moser to name a few, any of them better than others??

Axles, 35 spline sufficient?

Weld with whichever process You have the most experience with.
I've never heard of prewarping, please explain?
Use the same welding fixture for locating and centering the tubes as the housing ends.

There are several choices of aluminum center sections capable of taking 1200 rwhp, this is My favorite...
http://www.strangeengineering.net/ma...-pro-yoke.html

Others may have a different favorite but that one has never let Me down.

I urge You to use 40-spline axles regardless of which center or brand You choose.

Good luck with Your build and feel free to contact Me by messaging or calling, I will answer up until 8pm every weekday evening, have for many years.

Thank You,
Carl
Old 01-25-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Carl, I am thinking about going with an iron case, the aluminum unit may be out of my budget haha.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 70 Chevelle that makes about 1200 rwhp and weighs about 3400. I had concerns about breaking the 12 bolt so I want to build a 9". I have narrowed a few rears before but this is my first complete build. I already have a 4WD housing and replaced the tubes with 1/4" wall DOM tubing and plan to brace the back of the housing. Should I tig weld all of it together or mig it? Before I weld the tubes and brace should I prewarp it before I weld?.

MIG or TIG welding will not matter. TIG may be a cleaner look, but MIG welding done properly will be plenty sufficient. You can sure preload the housing a bit if you like, welding the backbrace will for sure warp the housing toward the back side if you don't do something. You could easily see 1/8-1/4 of offset when you put the ends on with a lineup bar.

Center section, I would like to use an aluminum case but will they hold up to the power and weight I have? Also noticed there are quite a few out there, Strange, Yukon, and Moser to name a few, any of them better than others??.

The aluminum case is fine if you select the proper one. Yukon is ok, but it is imported. The quality of the aluminum, machining, and heat treat is not quite the level of a comparable design from Strange. The Moser case is a fine piece, but probably a bit overpriced for the features. Strange is probably the best bang for the buck in quality and features. We can go over your needs and budget to make sure you get the best parts for your dollar.

Axles, 35 spline sufficient?.

The Strange 35 spline solid race axles(Hy-Tuff material) will be enough for your application but 40 spline may be a better choice, especially if you ever get into future power upgrades. If you go to 40 spline you can lighten them if desired and not see much difference in weight. There is only about 60.00 difference in 35 to 40 spline solid axles.

Give us a call or message... We will be glad to help you out on your rearend and suspension components needs. MWC is direct with Strange, Moser, and Yukon, we offer the best prices and tech help you will find!

Quick Reply: Building a 9" and have some questions.