Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion Seal Replacement Question

Old 02-22-2016, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pinion Seal Replacement Question

I will be replacing my pinion seal, and I am planning on using the method of marking the yolk when putting the nut back on. I am confused as to where exactly I should be marking. If someone could explain exactly how to put the nut back on correctly after the seal swap, it would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be helpful as well if you have them or can take them.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The nut screws on the gear end which is threaded. The nut presses on the yoke. Mark the center (gear), the nut, and the yoke. Sorry dont have a pic.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The nut screws on the gear end which is threaded. The nut presses on the yoke. Mark the center (gear), the nut, and the yoke. Sorry dont have a pic.
So, if I were to mark the nut which way was facing up and then counted the threads before I broke it loose and then ran it down until the same number of threads was showing and made sure the nut was oriented the same way (mark facing up) would that also work? It seems like that would be and harder for me to mess up haha
Old 02-22-2016, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, is it possible to get that nut off and on with just a breaker bar instead of an impact? Everywhere I am reading is saying that they used an impact.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

There will be little to no threads sticking out. You need to mark the shaft, what shows through in the center of the nut.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

There will be little to no threads sticking out. You need to mark the shaft, what shows through in the center of the nut.
I guess I am having trouble visualizing it. Unless I actually mark the threaded part of the shaft (which I don't think is what you are suggesting) how does this ensure that I thread the nut on the correct number of turns? Is this what the mark on the yolk is used for?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

There won't be any threads sticking out. Picture a nut and a bolt. Start screwing the nut on the bolt but stop before the bolt comes all the way through. Get it? The nut generally only leaves a tiny bit of thread and not enough to actually count. If you scribe the nut, plus the inside which is the gear, you can line the two up exact. If you miss it by a full turn or whatever you will definitely know, cause it will either be way to sloppy or way too tight. That nut sets the tension on the main bearings. You need to read some gear disassembly write ups so this makes more sense to you before you jump in.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned above, the torque required to initially crush the sleeve in the rear end is a lot. You'll know when you are close to where it was set before loosening it. If you need to rotate more, you'll know right away. When you put the new seal in I recommend driving the yoke back into the housing using an impact so that you don't screw up the seal. I did not fully tighten it back up though using the impact for fear of going past my mark. I just used a large torque wrench. You don't want to tighten the crush sleeve any more or you could ruin your bearings. Once you get under there and take the drive shaft off it will make more sense.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

There won't be any threads sticking out. Picture a nut and a bolt. Start screwing the nut on the bolt but stop before the bolt comes all the way through. Get it? The nut generally only leaves a tiny bit of thread and not enough to actually count. If you scribe the nut, plus the inside which is the gear, you can line the two up exact. If you miss it by a full turn or whatever you will definitely know, cause it will either be way to sloppy or way too tight. That nut sets the tension on the main bearings. You need to read some gear disassembly write ups so this makes more sense to you before you jump in.
Originally Posted by 02BlkTransAmWS6
As mentioned above, the torque required to initially crush the sleeve in the rear end is a lot. You'll know when you are close to where it was set before loosening it. If you need to rotate more, you'll know right away. When you put the new seal in I recommend driving the yoke back into the housing using an impact so that you don't screw up the seal. I did not fully tighten it back up though using the impact for fear of going past my mark. I just used a large torque wrench. You don't want to tighten the crush sleeve any more or you could ruin your bearings. Once you get under there and take the drive shaft off it will make more sense.
I think I've got it. Thanks, guys!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default From another thread a few years ago

Here is a pic man. Hope it helps, it is from another thread a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Pinion Seal Replacement Question-dsc04411.jpg  
Old 02-26-2016, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Just FYI, my pinion bearing went to the great beyond a few months after fixing a pinion seal this way. Yours may not, but if things are not just right there is a risk.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default yikes

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Just FYI, my pinion bearing went to the great beyond a few months after fixing a pinion seal this way. Yours may not, but if things are not just right there is a risk.
I was going to attempt to change my seal this weekend but your note here is scaring me. What happened to your pinion bearing to make it go bad? incorrect pre-load or somthing? I watched a few videos on this and it really didnt look hard but Im quite worried about getting it right. There doesnt seem to be anything else wrong with my rearend besides this small seal leak.

Did you have to use a puller to remove the yoke?
Old 05-14-2016, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

working on a rearend under the car is annoying but sometimes that's the way it has to be.
Yoke can be difficult to remove depending upon the slip/interference fit. Once off,clean the internal splines with a 'toothbrush size' wire brush to make re-assembly easier. I also 'rework' the seal surface of the yoke to try to get it back to factory surface finish. The highly polished surface were it rode at the seal is too smooth and I use 400/800 grit paper to get it back to original look. There was a seal change,make sure the new seal you got fits the yoke.
Since the rearend/back end of the car is gonna be up,I'd remove the wheels,unbolt the calipers from the brackets and let them hang off to the side and then remove the rotors. Removing these will allow you to get a true feel of the current rotational torque (by hand) required to turn the pinion,carrier,axles. On a used(your case),should not be much because of the 'worn in' bearings that no longer have the assembly line bearing preload. You need to duplicate that 'feel' at re-assembly. When you're re-assembling and you feel you've reached the original markings(above posts),the should be no looseness(in/out-up/down-left/right) of the pinion. At that point I nudge/tighten a little more(about 1/32 of a turn) to get rid of the natural looseness that occurred from normal bearing wear-in. Too loose(not reaching the original position) will cause looseness and cause not normal gearset tooth wear and pinion bearing wear/failure. Too tight will cause too much preload on the worn-in bearing sets.
Be prepared for the high amount of wrench torque needed to remove the nut and to re-install the nut.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
working on a rearend under the car is annoying but sometimes that's the way it has to be.
Yoke can be difficult to remove depending upon the slip/interference fit. Once off,clean the internal splines with a 'toothbrush size' wire brush to make re-assembly easier. I also 'rework' the seal surface of the yoke to try to get it back to factory surface finish. The highly polished surface were it rode at the seal is too smooth and I use 400/800 grit paper to get it back to original look. There was a seal change,make sure the new seal you got fits the yoke.
Since the rearend/back end of the car is gonna be up,I'd remove the wheels,unbolt the calipers from the brackets and let them hang off to the side and then remove the rotors. Removing these will allow you to get a true feel of the current rotational torque (by hand) required to turn the pinion,carrier,axles. On a used(your case),should not be much because of the 'worn in' bearings that no longer have the assembly line bearing preload. You need to duplicate that 'feel' at re-assembly. When you're re-assembling and you feel you've reached the original markings(above posts),the should be no looseness(in/out-up/down-left/right) of the pinion. At that point I nudge/tighten a little more(about 1/32 of a turn) to get rid of the natural looseness that occurred from normal bearing wear-in. Too loose(not reaching the original position) will cause looseness and cause not normal gearset tooth wear and pinion bearing wear/failure. Too tight will cause too much preload on the worn-in bearing sets.
Be prepared for the high amount of wrench torque needed to remove the nut and to re-install the nut.

Use an impact to break it loose BEFORE taking the diff out. It doesn't have to come completely off. But off enough that you can hold it and turn it with a ratchet. I have found best way is to set the parking brake to prevent the axles from rotating, but remember to release it so you can get the axles out. Now you can use an impact to snug it back down when everything is back together, but do not try to set your preload with it. That requires it to be able to turn.

PS, I have never had a diff failure doing any repairs or gear swaps this way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pinion Seal Replacement Question