Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Carrier Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carrier Bearing Replacement

Ive had a noise in the rear of my TA pretty much since Ive had it. Replaced the wheel bearings, but it didn't do much good. I was talking to the owner of a garage I work with and said he thinks it sounds like the carrier bearings. If I pull the carrier and replace the bearings on it will I have to reset the backlash or is it a simple r&r job? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

If the cause of the 'noise' is a carrier bearing(s) and if the replacement bearings are identical in length to the bearing(s) being replaced,in theory,backlash should not have to be reset. Carrier bearing preload with used bearings will have lessened compared to the preload when it was setup at the manufacturer with the new bearings.
If you're doing it yourself,most difficult part,other than pressing the old bearings off and pressing the new ones on,will be re-inserting the carrier assembly back into the housing with the OEM shims/washers/spacers as bearing preload makes it very tight. A case spreader is a very usefull tool.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would check backlash before then swap em and recheck it. If it matches roll with it. I doubt it will change any unless the bearing is manufactured incorrectly.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Teching In

I have the same noise along with a slight thumping when I get off the gas! let me know what you find. I would appreciate any and all feedback.
Mine is also a 2000 with the slp package and a 4 speed auto.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also have a very loud groan when making a high speed right turn. You can start to hear it about 40mph. At 50mph when you make a hard right, it's even louder. 60mph or higher and it is very very loud. If making a left turn, there's no noise other than the rear end itself, these things are quite noisy in the first place.

This just began when I swapped rears, I never noticed it as badly until now because it was so cold out I never made any real hard right handers. Replaced both wheel bearings as well, nothing. There was quite a bit of metal shavings on the magnet on the diff cover. Everything looked very good when I took a look at it, including the axles and the wheel bearings themselves, they were all smooth with no noticeable damage or wear, I still replaced the bearings because I had them out anyhow.

Would making a right hander indicate a bad bearing on the carrier since everything else checks out alright? Or could it be the way the Torsen is made and it's wearing a certain way? 2016 season starts in a little over a month, gotta know what I'm up against with this problem Thanks
Old 04-14-2016, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem. Changed out the wheel bearings and noise stayed the same. Is it possible for the carrier to make noise? I looked at my wear pattern and it's perfect as far as I can tell. Mine actually increases in noise as I'm on the brakes as well. Rotors are fine fyi

Old 04-14-2016, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

my passenger side carrier bearing

Name:  DSCN4213CAAS.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  67.6 KB
Name:  DSCN4212CAAS.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  37.5 KB

drove for 4 years on it after it started growling. started growling on a trip from Ohio to SLP appreciation day in Englishtown NJ.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

^^^That had to have been A WHILE ago, since the last one of those (SLP C.A.D.) was in what, 2004?!?
Old 04-16-2016, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

October 2004,then drove it for 4 years until I swapped in a complete rear(4.56),drove that one for 4 years,running the rebuilt OEM 3.23 currently,building a 4.10 to put in.

Quick Reply: Carrier Bearing Replacement