Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Conflicting fluid info from Eaton for their truetrac

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Conflicting fluid info from Eaton for their truetrac

I just installed a truetrac, but i havent filled it with fluid yet. I wanna let the rtv cure overnight. This morning i referred to my eaton owners manual, where it reads " high quality miner or synthetic gear lubes are required for use in the truetrac diffs. Regardless of the lube type, always use a GL5 rated lube with the least amount of firction modifier."Blah blah, "consult the vehicles owner manual for recommendation of lube type, weight, and fill volume."

My owners manual called for 75w90 synthetic, so grabbed Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil.

To double check, i went to their website...

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...ials/index.htm

For the Truetrac model, it reads "we do not recommend a synthetic oil"

What the ****?
Old 04-28-2016, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if gm still makes the posi additive they used to recommend for all there posi units. It might not work with synthetics though.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

It really doesnt make two *****. However, once you installed a trutrac you superseded your factory owners manual. Its a simple device with no need for any special lube. Buy the cheapest non syn gear oil you can find and fill er up.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
It really doesnt make two *****. However, once you installed a trutrac you superseded your factory owners manual. Its a simple device with no need for any special lube. Buy the cheapest non syn gear oil you can find and fill er up.
Will synthetic hurt it?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justhereforinfo
Will synthetic hurt it?
Yes, it will not allow the unit to operate correctly, same applies to friction modifiers and posi additives.

Carl
Old 04-29-2016, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
Yes, it will not allow the unit to operate correctly, same applies to friction modifiers and posi additives.

Carl
Thanks Carl and 01ssreda4, I just got off the phone with Eaton. They say the same thing. The unit will survive with synthetic, no problem, but it will perform better with regular old petroleum based oil with no friction modifier.

They personally suggest petroleum base Shell Spirax or Wolfs Head.

He also acknowledged the Truetrac manual can be misleading.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, mineral (or ANY) based gear oil is somewhat hard to find without any friction modifier added nowadays.

The two mentioned above are available without the modifier, as is the excellent Torco RGO (for more $$), and a few others.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Walmart carries it by the gallon and every auto parts store carries it by the quart.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

M1 works fine in most trutrac units. Some synthetics will cause noise and reduction of limited slip function. Don't add friction modifier. Most fluids have several % in there already and it isn't needed for trutrac. The friction modifier does reduce friction and help quiet noise in some diffs.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Eaton used to not recommend syn lubes....but have recently got their heads out of the sand and give syn oil the OK
Look in the bottm right of the page you were on for the date

http://www.eaton.com/rr/ProductsServ...ants/index.htm
© 2015 Eaton
All Rights Reserved
Lubricants

In promoting component reliability and longevity, proper lubrication is the key to a sound and effective maintenance program. Without effective lubricants at proper levels and temperatures, remaining maintenance procedures will not keep components functional.

Synthetic lubricants have proven to be superior to petroleum products and represent opportunities to promote superior maintenance and bottom line operating performance while significantly extending component service life and reliability. Certain products and applications require the use of approved synthetic lubricants.

Eaton lubrication requirements can be found the Eaton Lubrication Manual (TCMT0021), and the list of approved suppliers can in the Eaton Approved Lubricant Supplier Manual (TCMT0020).
Old 05-14-2016, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Truetrac? Get used to the "clunk." As for an LSD, it's great, but there's far too much slop within the differential itself. Eventually, we got tired of the clunk & pulled it out for a freshened up Trac-loc, (stock for an 8.8). Even though, the 8.8 is a Ford pumpkin, the design of the Truetrac diff is the same.

Truetracs clunk. It's not drivetrain slop, housing mounts, hub slop, loose pinion nut, incorrect gear clearance, a crush sleeve issue, axle, control arm bushing, exhaust rattle, girlfriend banging her head on the dash...it is the Truetrac differential, they clunk.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mine didnt so........
Old 05-15-2016, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Mine didnt so........
You are in the minority. When we got ours in around 07, they were highly recommended & it clunked from day one. By turning an axle w/ the cover off & then the drive shaft, the massive delay between axle or drive shaft rotation & spider gear movement can be seen in either direction. I'd still recommend one (in terms of performance) w/ a warning to the buyer regarding "clunk."

general comment:
Still trying to figure out why friction modifiers are being mentioned for a differential w/ no clutch packs, lol.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Truetrac? Get used to the "clunk." As for an LSD, it's great, but there's far too much slop within the differential itself. Eventually, we got tired of the clunk & pulled it out for a freshened up Trac-loc, (stock for an 8.8). Even though, the 8.8 is a Ford pumpkin, the design of the Truetrac diff is the same.

Truetracs clunk. It's not drivetrain slop, housing mounts, hub slop, loose pinion nut, incorrect gear clearance, a crush sleeve issue, axle, control arm bushing, exhaust rattle, girlfriend banging her head on the dash...it is the Truetrac differential, they clunk.
8.8 units had a known issue with noise. I pulled a few and installed a torsen boss 302 unit in its place. Noise solved.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Still trying to figure out why friction modifiers are being mentioned for a differential w/ no clutch packs, lol.
GM actually released a TSB about adding their friction modifier to the stock, '99-'02 Torsen T2 diffs which were factory installed in our rides (except for the SLP finished SSes).

This supposedly was done to quell the infamous 'rocks in a box' type of noise which was particular to the T2s on throttle-off 'coast down' ONLY, and had NOTHING to do with the actual torque biasing, or actual function of the diff.

The actual physics of how the additive stopped the noise I do not know.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dailydriver
GM actually released a TSB about adding their friction modifier to the stock, '99-'02 Torsen T2 diffs which were factory installed in our rides (except for the SLP finished SSes).

This supposedly was done to quell the infamous 'rocks in a box' type of noise which was particular to the T2s on throttle-off 'coast down' ONLY, and had NOTHING to do with the actual torque biasing, or actual function of the diff.

The actual physics of how the additive stopped the noise I do not know.

It must stick to the gears & dampen sound or something. Generally, in ref to lube, we use gl-4 in anything with gears & roller bearings. Any lube without contact pressure protection, (atf in manual trans for example), has led to early wear. Although, we do subject the car to road course driving.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Any lube without contact pressure protection, (atf in manual trans for example), has led to early wear. Although, we do subject the car to road course driving.
Over on bobistheoilguy.com (and yes I know there are MANY on here who HATE that site to death, and won't listen to a single bit of advice coming from even it's MOST knowledgeable members), there is a well respected tribologist (lubrication engineer/scientist/blender) named Mola Kule who BLASTS anyone who uses an ATF (yes, even the great Red Line D4 which claims to have GL-4 protection qualities, even though it is not actually GL-4 rated) in ANY manual gearbox.

He says to ALWAYS use a GL-4 rated manual transmission fluid '"of the proper viscosity".

That latter quote IS the problem though, since there are not too many MTLs/MTFs which are thin enough to run in a T56, especially in the cold(er) ambient temps.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

my 9" truetrac doesn't cluck at all...tons of guys in the road racing section use them too.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At the end of the day, I would never go for a TruTrac. Too many issues noted over many platforms and they are made in China. I'd rather support a US manufacturer who makes a helical deal. Wavetrack is US made and has a lifetime warranty, thing is, their application list is limited.

I suppose to each his own.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

^^^Yes, a Wavetrac is what I would be installing into a 9, if I had one.

The only other diff I would consider is the Platinum Trac, but that is more of a pure road race diff which will wear out much quicker than the Wavetrac would on the street.

Quick Reply: Conflicting fluid info from Eaton for their truetrac