Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Borg Warner 9 bolt for A4 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borg Warner 9 bolt for A4 LS1

I found a rebuilt 3.45 BW 9 bolt with the TA cover, later model disk brakes, LSD, and the same brake line fitting as ours. I know from my many hours of research that it's a bit stronger than our 10 bolt, mine has 2.73s and the LSD seems to be wore down pretty bad on it.g

For the price its going for (250 obo) thats the same as finding a 10 bolt in the junkyard, any one have any experience with the 9 bolt? More into installed in our 4th gen?

These rear ends seems to be happier with an auto vs manual. Im very tempted in trying it out. With the lenght being 1 1/2 in shorter, would you suggests 1 or 1 1/2 in spacers for my racestars?
Old 06-04-2016, 02:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

These are fitted to cars here in Australia. The later one's found in the 1995 onwards Ford sedans have a larger ring & pinion, fairly strong, many cars here in the mid low 9 sec 1/4's with this Borg Warner 9 bolt with 31 spline axles and spool.

Here's a gear set from the BorgWarner on eBay just for comparison to GM 10-bolt..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-ef-e...AAAOSwX~dWrzpu
Old 06-04-2016, 02:24 AM
11 Second Club

Here's a 31 spline unit to suit VL Turbo Holden Commodore sedan, which came with a Nissan 6cyl turbo engine from the factory and many of these cars here are modded and boosted running in the 9 sec 1/4's still with the BW 9 bolt rear..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-CO...4AAOSwdsFXTZ6C

Good rear end. I've thrashed on several in street cars with around 500hp and never missed a beat. Even the factory LSD (in the live axle version only, not IRS) work great and hold a lot of power.

I thought about getting one made for my FBody initially but for the power im planning i'm going directly to Fabricated 9" or S60 and still trying to decide which one
Old 06-04-2016, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The power im gonna have is roughly 450rwhp at 3200lb. Going to cut it down to 3000lb is the hardest part of the goal. Ive been lurking at lot of the 3rd gen sites and 9bolt.com that seems to have plenty of information and parts for the damn thing. Im gonna pull the trigger and do it, for the price its being sold..i wont break the bank too much, plus my other 3.42 rear can be a spare for my 6sp.

Later modification is to fit the LS1 brakes onto it with maybe an adapter plate.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

With the current exchange rate as it is you can buy all the BW parts you'd ever need dirt cheap from Australia.

I wouldn't bother with the LS1 brakes. After doing the ABS delete on my 94Z and the fact I've gutted the car significantly, it pulls up like a ****
Old 07-29-2016, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever install this thing?
I ran a BW 9 Bolt (M78 is the real name) in my Iroc with a 400rwhp LT1 with drag radials for years with no issues. I only just changed to an 8.8 as I wanted a lower gear ratio and the cost of new or used 3.55 or 3.42 gears is expensive.
The cones in the carrier can be machined for more life and the springs can be shimmed or replaced with stiffer ones for more holding power. You're better to machine original posi cones vs replacing as they are matched/worn to your carrier.
Look on Thirdgen.org under my username for more info..
For the price these axles can't be beat..they're very similar to a Dana 44.

I still have a set of steel spacer rings I plan to sell so you can install the LS1 rear brakes. The spacers go between the backing plates and the axles seals. You'll need to slot or weld and redrill the backing plates to match the axle ends bolting pattern. Let me know if you're interested.

Last edited by 6speediroc; 07-29-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Borg Warner 9 bolt for A4 LS1