Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

volvo 240 with lsx swap 2 piece driveshaft clunk, with video

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volvo 240 with lsx swap 2 piece driveshaft clunk, with video

So I finally finished my swap. I did an aluminum block 5.3, with a t56. All new poly engine, and trans mounts. New driveshaft center bearing and bushing. IPD bushings, panhard bar, torque arms.

When I take off from a stop a get a pretty bad clunk as demonstrated in the video. Also while shifting into 2nd hard I get some bad clunking. It isn't bad in 2, 3, 4, or 5 while accelerating cruising, or decel. However it is also bad in 6th gear while just cruising, or accelerating.

Besides the ds being out of balance, I am thinking that the pinion angle may be wrong, but I am having a hard time finding info about setting pinion angle on a 2 piece ds, and also most of the stuff i have read about setting pinion angle. Says to take note of the stock pinion angle, and match it. I am a little past being able to do that now.

I am planning to take out the ds and bring it back to the shop to have it checked. I am open to any suggestions, or input to solve this problem. This is the last thing stopping me from really being able to enjoy the car, and I do plan to autocross this bitch in a little over a week at the national volvo club meet at road America.

Also, before you mention it, I know the exhaust looks like poo.

Quick Reply: volvo 240 with lsx swap 2 piece driveshaft clunk, with video