Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Noisy rear end but cant figure out whats causing it

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy rear end but cant figure out whats causing it

Another noisy rear end post. I see a lot of post about whine or squeal coming from the rear but mine is a low rubbing howl. Almost like a grinding. Its getting worse and I cant seem to figure out whats causing it. I thought it was the diff, but I pulled the plate the other day and everything looked ok. There was almost nothing on the magnet on the diff cover. So I closed it up and put fresh lucas 75W-90.

The noise continued, but I drove it anyway the other night. When I parked then moved the car to another parking spot it got really bad. The noise got really loud and it sounded like something was grinding back there. Then I go to back into a parking spot and turning sharp in reverse its feels like the rear wants to lock up, but I can get the car to push through it. When I leave its just this nasty grinding noise. I get home and put the parking brake on and its non existent. It didnt catch very good before but now there is nothing.

So I thought hey, the parking brake must be shot and coming apart and it must be stuck in there. So I go to change it today and it looks completely fine. Pads are intact and they dont look all that worn.

With the rotors off and can turn it and hear the rubbing but I cant pinpoint as to where it is. It seems like its loudest near where the wheel would be. But not that many miles ago I had new wheel bearings put on.

BUT, and here could be the problem. I was in a hurry and had a shop a friend worked at do the bearings; the bearings before were god aweful and I had to drive the car so I had them replace them. The axles were pretty pitted because the bearings before were so bad, but they did not replace the axles.

So is it possible that the pitted axles just F***** my new bearings and now I need to replace the axles AND get new wheel bearings. And any reason why it would be the worst when I'm turning sharp in reverse? That is when it feels like its going to lock up and it gets real noisy.

Thanks.

Oh this is on a 99 WS6 all stock.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Teching In

There also seems to be a fair amount of play in the axles.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this a LSD
Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 AM
Launching!

If they axles were pitted, they should have replaced them with new or used axles during the wheel bearing change. I picked up used axles for 80 on ebay. Not sure though if this is your issue or not. How many miles on the rearend?
Old 10-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Yes this is a LSD with traction control. I think its my whole diff now. I was showing it to my buddy trying to figure it out and I just had to turn sharp in reverse and it started getting really clunky and almost catching and jerking. I wasn't sure if i was even going to be able to get it home after that. Looks like I am going to have to cough up the money for a rear end rebuild. I looks at putting the 9'' in but its just so damn expensive. My car is stock for now with intentions of bigger power down the road but I will just rebuild the 10 bolt for now and save some $$
Old 11-02-2016, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unbuckledpuddle
Yes this is a LSD with traction control. I think its my whole diff now. I was showing it to my buddy trying to figure it out and I just had to turn sharp in reverse and it started getting really clunky and almost catching and jerking. I wasn't sure if i was even going to be able to get it home after that. Looks like I am going to have to cough up the money for a rear end rebuild. I looks at putting the 9'' in but its just so damn expensive. My car is stock for now with intentions of bigger power down the road but I will just rebuild the 10 bolt for now and save some $$
Stock rear ends are pretty cheap if you buy used. You could probably spend less pulling a full rear from a junker then you would rebuilding it.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
Stock rear ends are pretty cheap if you buy used. You could probably spend less pulling a full rear from a junker then you would rebuilding it.
This. I've bought and sold complete working 10 bolts for a bill or two depending on what's in/on them. Wayyyy cheaper than any of the rebuilds I've done to them.

Quick Reply: Noisy rear end but cant figure out whats causing it