Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear clunking/crunching sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear clunking/crunching sound?

I have an 01 Firehawk with the 1LE suspension. About 75% of the time, when I am slowly backing up and turning there is a crunching/clunk sound from the rear. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger rear tire. Iv'e looked at it and nothing seems out of place (but I really wouldn't know even if it was) I don't notice anything odd once I'm underway. Just when I'm slowly backing and turning, like when I back out of my driveway or parking spot. Any ideas what this is? Also it is equipped with the Auburn differential.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redarrow
I have an 01 Firehawk with the 1LE suspension. About 75% of the time, when I am slowly backing up and turning there is a crunching/clunk sound from the rear. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger rear tire. Iv'e looked at it and nothing seems out of place (but I really wouldn't know even if it was) I don't notice anything odd once I'm underway. Just when I'm slowly backing and turning, like when I back out of my driveway or parking spot. Any ideas what this is? Also it is equipped with the Auburn differential.
I just started a tread on a similar thing that I am hearing. I hear a clunking noise on my rear passager side and it started out only turning. I took a 300 mile hike one weekend and now it is horrible back there all the time. I looked under and saw a little brake fluid on my inner rim and noticed it coming from the rubber boot from the rear of my passager rotor. Check that out for starters. If you find a solution to your problem. please let me know about it and I'll do the same for you. PM is needed.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

somoene told me it could be the posi wearing out......
Old 06-26-2004, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

that someone is on track wearing might be the nice way off saying, stay close to home.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bfly
that someone is on track wearing might be the nice way off saying, stay close to home.
Change the rear end gear oil and add the GM friction additive..at a GM dealer, 4 oz. bottle is about $7.00 or so.That may stop the clunking.I will trade with ya, mine sounds way worse!