Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle Bearing issue with 8.8 rear

Old 10-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Axle Bearing issue with 8.8 rear

I've got a 8.8 rear with 9" housing ends and this is the 2nd time I'veblown out an axle bearing. Was wondering if any other 8.8 guys with this setup having this issue.

I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a space between the brake backing plate and the bearing/hhousing end.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:42 AM
Launching!

Trying to get in touch with Hiltsy855 his pm box is full or restricted....
Old 10-10-2016, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I would check to make sure your housing ends are not crooked or the housing itself isn't warped from being welded on.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

At one point I was seriously considering building a 8.8 for a cheap, strong rear. I kept seeing posts like this that made me just go with a fabbed nine inch. Yes I spent more, but I'm quite certain I only had to spend it once
Old 10-11-2016, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
At one point I was seriously considering building a 8.8 for a cheap, strong rear. I kept seeing posts like this that made me just go with a fabbed nine inch. Yes I spent more, but I'm quite certain I only had to spend it once
Preach it
Old 10-12-2016, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I used Strange housing ends for a 3.150" bearing and there is a thin steel spacer between the housing end and the backing plate. It's basically a Strange 12-bolt setup. The mods have restricted my PMs.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:05 AM
Launching!

I believe I figured out the issue. The drivers side that the bearing blew out on had 2 t bolts missing. The nuts had backed off. I think the shop that installed my clutch packs on the diff didn't put them on, mainly because they are a PITA to install. I normally do as much work on my car as possible, I had a shop do it because I didn't have the time. Lesson learned - make time.

So after installing a new set I put on some red threadlocker, made sure the lock washers were on as well and Donkey Kong torque them down.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
I used Strange housing ends for a 3.150" bearing and there is a thin steel spacer between the housing end and the backing plate. It's basically a Strange 12-bolt setup. The mods have restricted my PMs.
The thin spacer is the difference between making the housing ends deep bore or shallow bore. One way is used for stock brakes the other is used for race brakes.

We actually just manufacture two different housing ends eliminating the spacer which cuts down customer cost and a possible leak point.

smws6ta- Be very careful Gorrilla tightening the stock backing plates as they will warp and can leak especially if you do not go in a criss cross pattern evenly.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
The old saying, do you want cheap or reliable because when it comes to performance you can only have one.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
The old saying, do you want cheap or reliable because when it comes to performance you can only have one.

Any rear end that was not setup correctly will have issues. This is not an "8.8 is cheap" issue. An 8.8 is a great bang for the buck option. Particularly for those not interested in 1/4 only.

For example. I am looking to replace my 10-bolt. Every time I price out a 9inch with what I am looking for it's 4K+. I am mostly focused on handling + daily driving and that is way to much to for me.

An 8.8 is under 3K, is more than enough up to 550 HP (maybe more) with the added bonus that I could take it to a 1/4 track for fun if I wanted to with little to no worries.

If only we could get 8.8's from Midwest. There is no argument that you guys do make great reliable rear ends.

Don't get me wrong a 9inch for drag is the way to go. The 8.8 fills the gap for those focused on handling.

On a side note - 130k Miles on my 10-bolt through an M6 with 436 HP - Can we say ticking time bomb
Old 10-12-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a reason you haven't seen companies like Moser or Strange make an 8.8 for an F-Body an trust me I know they looked into it and then think about how many shops that build rear ends for F-body's and why they haven't done it. I can think of one company that if it was realistically worth doing they would be doing it over the stamped nine inch they sell. Or look into why heavy vehicles like GT500 have so many issues with their 8.8 supporting 5xx HP with their weight using a 3 link.

You have to understand we talk to hundreds of people a day either by email or phone and we hear multiple issues people are having with their 8.8 along with other rear end types. This year alone I know we have at least three customers that gave up with their 8.8 for one reason or another, either fitment, gear noise, or leaking axles. This is why Darth_V8r brought it up as I'm sure he did his research and chose to purchase a better option. Of course not the best option but did go a better route for his investment.

As far as spending money you could buy a bullet proof S60 for under 3K and NEVER have to worry about it and know you are getting all new parts. The S60 with the HD posi is actually a S-Trac and we all know they can handle just about anything you throw at it and it carries the same life time warranty.

I say it all the time the 8.8 has it's purpose this is why we have 10 in the shop at all times being built but they take welded axle tubes, 9" style ends, rear differential support, and bracing to survive in a Mustang Chassis. Look up built 8.8 there is a reason you see them braced up like a jungle gym. It isn't because they had extra tubing laying around and was bored so they decided to put it onto their housing.

Remember HP does not break parts it is just merely part of the equation.

I've helped some 8.8 users attempt to solve their problems, this is why I posted in here to check to make sure the housing isn't warped or the ends are placed on crooked. Not one 8.8 that has came into this door to be built has not needed straightening before it got ends put on it. To the point I'm not sure if their was an 8.8 from the factory that was straight.

Just one persons opinion after years of doing this stuff, between myself, the other salesperson and the Owner we have been doing this stuff for a combined 78 years and that is just dating us to when we was 16 but we all grew up with this hobby. Not just drag racing even, the owner and myself actually auto-X for some time together but we clearly got hit by the drag race bug an the fact most areas wouldn't open up their lots anymore.

If the OP still can't figure out the issue he can always email for advice as we are always willing to give it. Not everything is pushed into a sale with us.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
The thin spacer is the difference between making the housing ends deep bore or shallow bore. One way is used for stock brakes the other is used for race brakes.

We actually just manufacture two different housing ends eliminating the spacer which cuts down customer cost and a possible leak point.....
Good to know. I made my own spacer but if I'd known you guys had deep bore ends I would have gone that route.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

We will have them listed on our web site here very soon to be purchased for shallow bore or deep bore along with ones machined to accept 4CH.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Axle Bearing issue with 8.8 rear