Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

2001 Camaro SS with 4.10 stock rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Camaro SS with 4.10 stock rear end

I had a slight leak from the pinion seal a month ago. Took it to a friend who works at GM dealership. He did the job on the side and charged me $100 to replace seal and refill. A few weeks later I took the car for a autoX and then a week later went for a spirited cruise. Rear made no noises at the autoX. But on the cruise, it started fine, then developed an jet turbine whine. Only put a couple hundred miles on the car before the noise started. Being that I only had the seal changed and did not really drive it any harsher than before, what could be wrong? I went to the guy and took him for a spin and his guess was the pinon bearings. He said he would replace them and the other differential bearings for $300 in labor. I would have to buy the $100 in bearings. Reading on here, it seems that it could have been caused by him not properly changing the seal.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it is time to get a new friend as this one screwed up the install and now wants to charge you more to fix his mistake. What happens when the next thing goes and he decides he wants to charge again because he apparently had no idea what he was doing?

Have you checked to see if the seal held and it still has fluid in it?
Old 10-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Teching In

He screwed up the pinion bearing preload when he reinstalled the pinion yoke. I did this to my car and had the same result. A rather expensive learning experience. You will now likely need a new ring and pinion plus the install kit and oil as I doubt the whine will go away with new bearings at this point.

Nick
Old 10-30-2016, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Odds are its his fault but hard to say. It's sort of a chance you take replacing the pinion without putting in a new crush sleeve.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really a guessing game, but it's pretty easy to over crush the crush sleeve when changing that seal. If he marked it properly and didn't just hammer the nut on it should be fine.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Teching In

So you guys dont think a bearing and new seals will fix it at this point? Yeah, I dont want to pay him to do it again. Shocking that a guy who works at GM couldnt put a simple seal in.

Does seem to be still seeping like it was originally. Have not been able to get under it yet though. Have been out of town. Just used a flashlight and there is definitely some oil spray back there.

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro SS with 4.10 stock rear end