Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Mobil 1 75/90?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just going to agree to disagree with you and leave it at that. I've had dealings with seasoned mechanics before who didn't listen to me either. This is why I do most of the work on my vehicles now. Carry on.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have to chuckle at your response but truly your bearing was already failing from lack of lubrication before the pothole. It takes a hell of lot of abuse to damage the bearing and axle BUT bumps in the road potholes etc have no effect on it. The wheels would bend and the axle break off before you could damage the bearing -axle in that way. I know its hard to understand.

The axles and bearing fail from lack of proper lubrications at high loads like accelerating hard etc. It put tremendous loads on the axles and bearings. Another quick way to kill these bearing is doing burn outs if the rear is low on oil or its just old and crappy.

Think about this, if potholes damaged these bearings everyone would be having failures. My jeep has 300k miles on it without any axle bearings failing and its been through hell. But its had clean full oil in the rears the entire time. Good Luck
Old 11-25-2016, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, I disagree. The bearing made an awful scrunch noise immediately at impact. A sound best described like the noise made when loosening a rust bolt with force. And this was not a normal impact. I've hit potholes before, but never before had I had the back of the car get jerked so violently to the side. It did damage the tire. The axle did get a grove in it and had to be replaced as well. Possibly since I drove it for 3 months like that before I had time to tear into it. Yes, potholes normally don't damage a bearing, but it does happen. Just because you think or say it doesn't, doesn't mean it isn't so.

I get a chuckle out of types like you who always are quick to say "not possible" at an occurrence. I work with a guy like you. He has learned not to say it as much when I bring him out to the shop floor and let him watch what I'm seeing.

Again, agree to disagree and drop it. This argument isn't even related to the OP's post.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 75/90?