Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stress on 7.5" with MT ET Streets

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stress on 7.5" with MT ET Streets

Hi all. I'll start with an embarrassing disclaimer that I've never owned tires this aggressive so I have a few rear end 101 questions regarding my set up. My car is a stock geared M6 (only exhaust on car), with MT ET Streets. Like I've said I've never owned tires this sticky before and I'm actually pretty surprised I can't break them loose on hard rolling acceleration (haven't bothered to straight up launch it yet out of fears of the 7.5"). It seems fairly obvious the 7.5" rear is inadequate on these cars. I do not have any intentions on dragging the car, but that's not to say I won't have fun with it on the street. Do these tires present a significant threat to the longevity of the rear? I was going to get a girdle just as an insurance policy as I personally do not see the need to buy an upgrade rear for my intended use as a fun cruiser and not a drag car.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing most everyone here will say not to ever run stickies that 10 bolt with an m6. So have fun with the car, just don't launch it.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I babied along a ten bolt for quite a while. Once I got it to hook, it died. It really depends on your shifting habits. How hard you hit second and third, that sort of thing.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

7.5 will hold up fine on sticky tires with an auto , M6 is where the problems come because they can shock the drivetrain pretty hard depending how you release the clutch.

Obviously you cant be doing clutch dumps at 4,5,6 grand like you can with an aftermarket rear keep it 3 grand and under and learn how to just barely slip the clutch for a millisecond on release to keep rpm's up enough not to bog and no lift shifting is definitely a no no granny shift that thing and start saving for a rear or keep a spare stocker on hand all the time.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may just bite the bullet and buy some different wheels off of craigslist for cheap. The wheels and tire combination on the car look great but for practicality reasons not the best choice (I bought it this way). I definitely do not want to spend any more on repairs for the rear. I'm completely clueless on how to repair anything in the rear so I'd probably have to pay a pretty penny on the repair. I think buying a cheap set of wheels sounds worth the piece of mind.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I did bad bad things to my M6 car after I put my NT05R's on it. I couldn't resist testing the limits of their traction. But that was only for a short time one afternoon. A lot of it just comes down to luck with these rears as much as anything else.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I did bad bad things to my M6 car after I put my NT05R's on it. I couldn't resist testing the limits of their traction. But that was only for a short time one afternoon. A lot of it just comes down to luck with these rears as much as anything else.
I have had a couple different pairs of nitto's on my m6 car including 05r's right now very easy to torch up on the street , from owning Mt et streets that I have run on my a4 cars I wouldn't put them on my M6 car - different animal et streets hook hard....
Old 12-07-2016, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

wheel hop will kill that rear end. make sure you get a good torque arm and lower control arms

Quick Reply: Stress on 7.5" with MT ET Streets