Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MWC FAB 9 product review

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default MWC FAB 9 product review

great product. Im not a fan of "make it work" or "slight modifying required" since I'm not creative, but none of that was needed here. No complaints on bolting the housing in/install. I believe i have proper pinion angle, since i have virtually no vibes up to 80 mph. got it with the s-trac and us gears and the 4-channel abs.

like many others, my abs inop comes on after about 2 minutes of over 70 mph driving. under 60 i have no issues. Before anyone responds, yes i have my speedo recalibrated for the bigger gears, proper tire size set, stock wheels all around, there is no metal on the sensors, and the rings are clean. Don't need any help diagnosing, because I've read enough threads about this and it never gets solved.

may have been an issue with the sensor on my m6 not being mounted right, but i had to modify the 5 hole pivot link and cut off about 3/4" off the one side since it was rubbing it. I shortened the Tq arm as much as i could, but still rubbing

despite following mwc break in procedure, using 80 w 90 non syn oil, and getting the us gears, still have minimal gear whine. i think its tolerable since it gets drowned out at highway speeds by exhaust but it is still worth noting. a buddy rode in my car who had a 12 bolt with whine and he said my whine is nothing compared to his. sounds like a more high pitch worn wheel bearing noise.

got him joints on all the rear parts and bearing mounted vikings. Definitely need to get used to. not because its too loud, but I'm paranoid that something is loose or wrong because of the extra noise. checked everything 3 times. I'm just used to quiet lol.

thanks again MWC for making a great product that sells itself. satisfied with the customer service i received as well.

Last edited by Floorman279; 02-08-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: ....
Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Justin for the kind words we are glad that we could be a part of your build.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

race/drag car parts will have more bumps, excessive sound, more vibration over quiet and comfort.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by fst100
race/drag car parts will have more bumps, excessive sound, more vibration over quiet and comfort.
Very true, if you want the ride quality of a Cadillac then purchasing aftermarket suspension items may not be for you.

Floorman279 we appreciate the review. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

def wasn't looking for cadillac ride feel. just an adjustment that i need to make getting used to it. not excessive but if it was my daily driver it would get old quick. once i finally get to the track which is now the goal I'm sure i won't car anymore.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Not to be a D here, but you spent about 3 grand and have noticeable gear whine that can only be drowned out by a loud exhaust.??? I've researched the entire inter-webs like we all have on rears for 4th gen f-bodys. I just don't understand why gear whine is an acceptable thing. I've never had a 12 bolt whine and never had one break. No 9 inch experience, but either way just saying "they all do that" doesn't seem right to me.

I'm not knocking anyone, but if a 60 year old designed rear end can't be made to not make noise than I believe something is off. And I am a highly trained internet engineer.

Can someone explain please?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Not to be a D here, but you spent about 3 grand and have noticeable gear whine that can only be drowned out by a loud exhaust.??? I've researched the entire inter-webs like we all have on rears for 4th gen f-bodys. I just don't understand why gear whine is an acceptable thing. I've never had a 12 bolt whine and never had one break. No 9 inch experience, but either way just saying "they all do that" doesn't seem right to me.

I'm not knocking anyone, but if a 60 year old designed rear end can't be made to not make noise than I believe something is off. And I am a highly trained internet engineer.

i can agree with what u are saying. i searched how to break in a new rear/gear set, and i found that a lot of times they recommend something likeone longer break in interval of about half an hour at 60 mph, mwc was the only one i saw that recommends multiple small intervals of in town driving. not knocking them, maybe they personally have better luck with that and one long interval is for a different kind of gear. i got us gears and this is what they say.

http://www.usgear.com/p/ring-and-pin...stallation.pdf

same instructions as mwc, but mwc recommends 5 or more 10 minute cycles.....cant possibly hurt tho. maybe the are attempting to figure out why everyone is complaining about whine and believe multiple trips are best. I have a feeling that its just gear quality and or material. I'm assuming that us gear may be better than motives or richmonds, and i really wish i would have special ordered yukons. seen good luck on other forums with them. maybe a few years from now i will get them installed. all in all same thing with the abs issues, 95% of aftermarket rears have 4 channel issues, just like most aftermarket rears have gear noise complaints. what are we gonna do......
Old 02-09-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

what kind of 12 bolt because I'm pretty sure they are the worst......now that i think of it i dint remember my s60 whining, and i never broke it it.....i just dove without beating on it for while
Old 02-10-2017, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

A Ford 9" by design was nosier, always has been even from the factory. Now add in a sheet metal housing, solid suspension joints, and the fact you just put a new item in and do what everyone does and listen "harder" for new sounds.

Like Floorman279 said gear quality over the years has changed. We used to use Yukon gears and the set up on them became horrible so we stopped. Same goes for Richmond as we had to many complaints.

As for the 12-bolt you will not find a vendor on here offer one unless a customer insist. We have all had bad experience with them due to gear noise in a F-Body. Any housing with the torque arm mounted to the side like factory is prone to get gear noise due to distortion under acceleration. This is why we mounted the torque arm the way we did on our fabricated housing.

We've sold multiple S60's and had to deal with noise complaints from them as well over the years. I contribute less noise complaints due to the thick cast housing drowning it out.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
A Ford 9" by design was nosier, always has been even from the factory. Now add in a sheet metal housing, solid suspension joints, and the fact you just put a new item in and do what everyone does and listen "harder" for new sounds.

Like Floorman279 said gear quality over the years has changed. We used to use Yukon gears and the set up on them became horrible so we stopped. Same goes for Richmond as we had to many complaints.

As for the 12-bolt you will not find a vendor on here offer one unless a customer insist. We have all had bad experience with them due to gear noise in a F-Body. Any housing with the torque arm mounted to the side like factory is prone to get gear noise due to distortion under acceleration. This is why we mounted the torque arm the way we did on our fabricated housing.

We've sold multiple S60's and had to deal with noise complaints from them as well over the years. I contribute less noise complaints due to the thick cast housing drowning it out.
So you have used yukons and had bad luck?

def not accusing anyone of anything, but 95% of your rears i assume run strange products cause they are great......is it just a coincidence that the best luck overall as far as noise goes that you guys have had is with us gears made by strange?

I believe you when you say 9 inches are naturally louder, doesnt it have more ring and pinion contact due to where they meet compared to 10,12s and s60s? So yea more contact should make more noise. And having 5-6 rubber or poly bushings out back would suppress it a little more since metals transmit noise.....hence a mechanic stethoscope.

I also didnt notice the gear noise until i started listening to my exhaust cause i chsnged that the same time as well and dislike the new sound.

I take back my comment stated earlier how i agree with ws6. After actually thinking about it, there should be more noise and its just a nature of the beast.

MWC, just checking it is gear noise/whine, it sounds similar to wheel bearing roar, but much more high pitch. Again it is subtle and not loud. Sound right?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Strange doesn't manufacture ring and pinions but do use US Gear as their house gear. As for Yukon yes we used to use their gears but you could tell they changed while we was using them. We see this because we have well over 100 ring and pinions travel through this door a year and one guy(The Owner) sets up every rear end that goes out the door.

As for sound and I can't explain why but the solid mounted suspension items always seem to resonate more with a 6-speed over an automatic.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

I've certainly heard about Richmonds being noisy over the years. What I've seen/heard here is that you give up strength for less noise. Meaning the stronger (or harder) a gear set is the whinier it is going to be. I'm just thinking out loud here, but I currently own a vehicle with a 7.5, an 8.5 and a 12 bolt. None make noise. And the 8.5 has 4.88's in it (along with matching front end) but I went with what I believe is the orange box Motive gears because they were the street version and were supposed to be quiet, which they are and that was the first rear I had ever set up. I have yet to install them but I purchased a set of factory 4.10's for my Transam because they were supposed to be the quietest and maybe even be less prone to cracking because they aren't as hard. Any thoughts on this?

Sorry if I hijacked, but the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards leaving that 7.5 alone and buying a new, beefier rear. I just want piece of mind.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

all in all the noise imo is slightly more than acceptable for a weekend warrior.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

^^^^^That's a good point. I guess for us guys who don't drive them much a little bit of noise could = racecar. Which I'm into. As long as it isn't crazy or makes one worry.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

I've certainly heard about Richmonds being noisy over the years. What I've seen/heard here is that you give up strength for less noise. Meaning the stronger (or harder) a gear set is the whinier it is going to be. I'm just thinking out loud here, but I currently own a vehicle with a 7.5, an 8.5 and a 12 bolt. None make noise. And the 8.5 has 4.88's in it (along with matching front end) but I went with what I believe is the orange box Motive gears because they were the street version and were supposed to be quiet, which they are and that was the first rear I had ever set up. I have yet to install them but I purchased a set of factory 4.10's for my Transam because they were supposed to be the quietest and maybe even be less prone to cracking because they aren't as hard. Any thoughts on this?

Sorry if I hijacked, but the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards leaving that 7.5 alone and buying a new, beefier rear. I just want piece of mind.
nah not a hijack. the internet is for opinions and disorderly conduct lol. MWC didn't respond to it, but after they said 9" are naturally louder i asked if it was because the ring and pinion have more contact are due to the pinion location of the rear......have you ever raced your 12 bolt? everything i read said that a few launches on a 12 and it will start to whine.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

piece of mind is a good thing. saves you the embarrassment of a 14 second mustang finishing the 1/4 mile while your just sitting there staged still.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

No, I haven't raced it. It's in my restored 68 big block Suburban. It cruises and occasioanlly hauls some stuff. A mild motor and and narrow goodyear wranglers mean I couldn't really put much force on the rear no matter what I was doing with it. But the rear is 49 years old and appears to be untouched. And doesn't make noise, which is kind of why I brought it up. A friend has a 12 bolt in his 69 Camaro that he put gears in, no noise. But also behind a mild motor and not raced.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Floorman279
piece of mind is a good thing. saves you the embarrassment of a 14 second mustang finishing the 1/4 mile while your just sitting there staged still.
It is. I saw a fairly stock 3rd gen explode the rear while a bunch of people had gathered in a hotel parking lot to do burnouts during a 3 day car show. He was doing donuts. And loudly grenaded his rear. I felt bad for him but was also like, eww, and "wow, that's embarrassing". Also don't want 100 or 150 mile tow bill if I'm at the track. I took my car to an event called Musclepalooza twice in the past two years. Car show and drag racing. Awesome. Both times I was too nervous to race it. Just can't swing that kind of financial damage just to make a few passes. Would I have been fine? Probably. But the LS1tech 7.5 **** has gotten into my head.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

A 12-bolt in anything other than a F-Body with a torque arm is different. It is the torque arm that causes the issue with a 12-bolt in the F-Body.

Floorman279 you are correct about the 9" it is all relevant to the pinion location and more contact.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
A 12-bolt in anything other than a F-Body with a torque arm is different. It is the torque arm that causes the issue with a 12-bolt in the F-Body.

Floorman279 you are correct about the 9" it is all relevant to the pinion location and more contact.
yea if all you do is straight line cruising with occasional drag time, get the s60. for under 3000 u get good strength and no more worrying. with driveshaft it may be 3100 is. no need for a new torque arm and rest of suspension if you aren't serious about it and go to the track every now and then. the suspension stuff kinda adds up after a little bit. always check the classifieds and that will give you a good idea. nobody sells anything that they wanna keep unless strapped for cash. every now and then an s60 comes up in there......if your not in a rush check every few days and maybe you can get one. i sold mine with an strac and pst shaft used for 2300 3 years ago in exchange for stock working 10 bolt and shaft. i was selling the car and made more money that way.

Quick Reply: MWC FAB 9 product review