Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stock Rear Question- Growl

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Rear Question- Growl

Have not jacked up the car yet but I have heard this noise in friends cars previously and im just trying to get some opinions.

When driving, accelerating or coasting it makes a growl noise. Goes away when turning sharp. Almost sounds like the rear caliper is hung up and rubbing the rotor. It is not a pulsating sound and I havent tried it in reverse if that matters. I have read several threads on this but no symptoms close to mine so far.

When applying the brakes it does not change a thing so thats why I think it is not brake related but possibly axle bearings. I hear it more from the passenger tire, new tires on the car. I bought the car just recently and the only time I dont hear it is at a dead stop or when im doing 75+

2000 WS6 if it matters to anyone.

All help is appreciated
Old 03-22-2017, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Based on the description,axle bearings or carrier bearings.
-axle bearing(s),if an axle bearing is going/gone,it'll typically deteriorate the axles' surface where the bearing rides against.
-carrier bearing(s),upon turns(let's say left hand),the driver side axle is trying to be pulled out and the c-clip pulls the carrier harder into the carrier bearing with the opposite effect on the passenger side carrier bearing.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Based on the description,axle bearings or carrier bearings.
-axle bearing(s),if an axle bearing is going/gone,it'll typically deteriorate the axles' surface where the bearing rides against.
-carrier bearing(s),upon turns(let's say left hand),the driver side axle is trying to be pulled out and the c-clip pulls the carrier harder into the carrier bearing with the opposite effect on the passenger side carrier bearing.
Thank you for the response and time. Based on other threads I had read previous to my post I had a pretty good feeling that may be the issue. Ill be cracking into it soon and I will post my end results.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

It may be low on oil, they will growl

Quick Reply: Stock Rear Question- Growl