Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

2000 z28 Camaro torsen LSD only locks 1 way

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 z28 Camaro torsen LSD only locks 1 way

I have a 2000 Camaro ls1 ,t56, has stock 10 bolt with 342 gears and a torsen style lsd, if I burn out going straight or turning the wheel to the left it will kick off both tires and get sideways. However if I try turning to the right it will immediately kick to 1 tire fire. I can be fully clicked out to the left and overcorrect it to go back right and it will still kick one tire as soon as it whips back to go straight. At first I thought it would be worn clutch packs but after pulling the cover and seeing it was torsen I am quite confused. Upon inspection everything looked intact. So does anyone know what would cause a torsen rear to only lock up going 1 way? The rear end operates smooth and makes no noise , and the car is all stock . Thank you
Old 03-29-2017, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Take a look at this...I read this some time ago and figured I would post it

this is a common problem, many people dont understand the inner workings of the rear ends in these cars. let me explain.

You have a 99 Z28. this means you have a torsen differential. a torsen is not a limited slip differential. traditionaly limited slip diffs are refered to as posi's, as Posi-traction was the corporate name Chevy gave to them and it just became the standard practice to call them all that. (ford called em trac-lock, and pontiac and chrysler also had different names for them that I cant think of right now)

a limited slip and a torsen work in completely different ways. and this confuses lots of people with torsens, making them think they have an open diff.

In a limited slip differential, there is some type of friction surface that locks the two axles together, but allows them to slip around corners.

the torsen however, uses gears instead of friction surfaces to bias the torque to both axles. it acts as an open differential most of the time. in order for it to "lock up" you MUST have BOTH axles loaded sufficiently. this is the reason that a lot of people complain they have one wheel peel, and think the rear end is messed up. it also means that if you jack up the rear of the car the tires will not turn in the same direction, but they will act like an open diff. this is almost definetly what your mechanic is seeing, and not being experienced with torsens, he thinks its an open diff.

as for it being worn out, torsens dotn wear out like limited slips do, as there are no clutches to wear. thats one of the bennefits of them, unless you break it, it will bias torque the same for its entire service life.

hope that helps
Old 03-30-2017, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
Take a look at this...I read this some time ago and figured I would post it

this is a common problem, many people dont understand the inner workings of the rear ends in these cars. let me explain.

You have a 99 Z28. this means you have a torsen differential. a torsen is not a limited slip differential. traditionaly limited slip diffs are refered to as posi's, as Posi-traction was the corporate name Chevy gave to them and it just became the standard practice to call them all that. (ford called em trac-lock, and pontiac and chrysler also had different names for them that I cant think of right now)

a limited slip and a torsen work in completely different ways. and this confuses lots of people with torsens, making them think they have an open diff.

In a limited slip differential, there is some type of friction surface that locks the two axles together, but allows them to slip around corners.

the torsen however, uses gears instead of friction surfaces to bias the torque to both axles. it acts as an open differential most of the time. in order for it to "lock up" you MUST have BOTH axles loaded sufficiently. this is the reason that a lot of people complain they have one wheel peel, and think the rear end is messed up. it also means that if you jack up the rear of the car the tires will not turn in the same direction, but they will act like an open diff. this is almost definetly what your mechanic is seeing, and not being experienced with torsens, he thinks its an open diff.

as for it being worn out, torsens dotn wear out like limited slips do, as there are no clutches to wear. thats one of the bennefits of them, unless you break it, it will bias torque the same for its entire service life.

hope that helps

Thank you for the reply, I already understand everything you are telling me and have owned several cars with torsen diffs in the past and I know that usually they work or they are broken need to be replaced , however I have never seen anything like this one , it's smooth as butter and makes no noise so nothing is obviously or catastrophically broken , however when going straight or turning to the right it locks both tires perfect and operates beautifully , but when going to the right it immediately unlocks , wet or try , when both tires have similar amounts of traction , I know torsens are supposed to always work unless they catastrophically fail , however this one has not and I do not know why .
Old 04-02-2017, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

thats just how the stock torsen is (what a pos it is). if you want something that will smoothly spin both wheels in a turn, you need a trutrac or auburn LSD. a trutrac although torsen in design will not 1 wheel peel in a turn like the stock torsen

Quick Reply: 2000 z28 Camaro torsen LSD only locks 1 way