Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Vibration, requesting driveshaft length t56 to 9 inch

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Vibration, requesting driveshaft length t56 to 9 inch

Recently put in a 9 inch and have been chasing down a vibration I am more than confident the pinion angle is correct. I am thinking a driveshaft I bought (advertised as a t56 to 9 inch length) is too short and does not have proper spline engagement into the trans.

STOP! before you say it, I know lengths can vary depending on setup, however I want to know if this thing is even in the ball park. Sponsors say measure and send them the measurements for a new shaft, I don't want/need to order a new one to find out my current shaft is the proper length for my setup. If I need one, I will get a new one, but not without verifying the current one is not the proper length.

SO, if someone has a t56-9 inch drive shaft that they are confident is correct, and you post tube length (u-joint center to center), and an overall length of the shaft with slip yoke

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

The problem is you could have different wheel base, ride height, pinion angle, and different length pinion yoke than the next guy so their measurement may be different than yours. You have all the answers in front of you if the driveshaft is the correct length for your application.

Put the car up in the air safely loaded and see how much engagement you have at the transmission. However we already know what the problem is and its the yoke itself as we have only found one yoke that works properly with a T-56 transmission and doesn't cause a vibration.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
The problem is you could have different wheel base, ride height, pinion angle, and different length pinion yoke than the next guy so their measurement may be different than yours. You have all the answers in front of you if the driveshaft is the correct length for your application.

Put the car up in the air safely loaded and see how much engagement you have at the transmission. However we already know what the problem is and its the yoke itself as we have only found one yoke that works properly with a T-56 transmission and doesn't cause a vibration.
Like the first post stated I know this, hence the statement of "ballpark".

If I take measurements per the link on your website, measure my current yoke and tube will you tell me if it is right?

I am aware about the yoke issue, however, I do not want to purchase just the yoke and my tube is too short, nor do I want to order a whole new shaft/yoke assembly and find out my current tube is correct and all I needed was the yoke.

Jon
Old 04-26-2017, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately a rough measurement is not going to help you like stated but you are looking anywhere from 41" to 43" center to center depending on which slip yoke you have and pinion yoke because there are multiple options someone could of used from multiple different manufactures. Not to mention your ride height, wheel base, and pinion angle will be different than the next guys.

Your vehicle set at ride height with the driveshaft in place will tell you if you have proper engagement and doing it that way you do not have to worry about others numbers.

That is the best help I can give you I hope it helps.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately a rough measurement is not going to help you like stated but you are looking anywhere from 41" to 43" center to center depending on which slip yoke you have and pinion yoke because there are multiple options someone could of used from multiple different manufactures. Not to mention your ride height, wheel base, and pinion angle will be different than the next guys.

Your vehicle set at ride height with the driveshaft in place will tell you if you have proper engagement and doing it that way you do not have to worry about others numbers.

That is the best help I can give you I hope it helps.
Rough measurement? I am asking you if I measured for a drive shaft PER YOUR WEBSITE (as if I were going to order a compete new unit) if you could tell me if my current TUBE is correct to run the "correct" yoke you all sell. I am trying to avoid having to buy a complete setup again UNLESS the tube is in fact too short......
Old 04-26-2017, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

We could not tell you it is correct we do not have the vehicle at the shop to measure for correct fitment. The only way you would know is to purchase the yoke slip it into the transmission where it belongs and measure the center to center all at correct ride height, wheelbase, and pinion angle.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Idk if this helps, my DS T56 to fabbed 9 is 45-1/8" as measured per most instructions from tailshaft to pinion yoke centerline. Idk the tune length.

As to the yoke I'm running the Strange yoke with zero vibration issues
Old 05-01-2017, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Idk if this helps, my DS T56 to fabbed 9 is 45-1/8" as measured per most instructions from tailshaft to pinion yoke centerline. Idk the tune length.

That is what Im looking for, thanks. Ill pull mine in the next couple of days and see where I am at.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r

Which is what I was trying to explain, the length is different from our standard length showing that not all F-Body T-56 nine inch combinations will be the same so there is no number to given to cross reference from.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Which is what I was trying to explain, the length is different from our standard length showing that not all F-Body T-56 nine inch combinations will be the same so there is no number to given to cross reference from.
****, when you adjust pinion angle, the pivot point is the rear LCA. So, when you increase pinion angle, the whole rear moves away from the transmission. You gotta get the angles right first or you'll be off.

But yeah, you can't just use someone's measurements. but I figured if he measured and just wanted a sanity check, I'm happy to give him one

Quick Reply: Vibration, requesting driveshaft length t56 to 9 inch