Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

'01 Camaro Pinion Seal- 2 options

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '01 Camaro Pinion Seal- 2 options

While I am doing my clutch I decided to do my pinion seal since it's been leaking for a while. I went to Advance to get the seal and they said there are 2 versions for my model year. An early production and a late production. My car was built in I think July 2000. I would assume it has the "early" production seal, but I am not for sure. The weird thing is I asked Auto Zone about the pinion seal and they only showed one listing.

We put one in about 35k miles ago on the last clutch swap and it's been leaking for a long time. I wonder if I bought it at Auto Zone and since they only have one available it was the wrong size and that's why it leaked?
Old 06-12-2017, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...nion-seal.html
Old 06-12-2017, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the link! I read through it and it sounds like later '01s and all '02s have the new design. Being my car was built in '00 it should have the earlier type seal. Know I which one to get. Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2017, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy both and return the one you don't need
Old 06-12-2017, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Changing the seal probably won't stop the leak. Usually it takes new pinion bearings and sealing the yoke to the pinion to stop them from leaking. The reason they leak is the pinion bearings have slight water damage from sitting, this causes the pinion to spin slightly off center enough to weep fluid past the seal. You can't imagine how many of these I've seen leaking from new.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Changing the seal probably won't stop the leak. Usually it takes new pinion bearings and sealing the yoke to the pinion to stop them from leaking. The reason they leak is the pinion bearings have slight water damage from sitting, this causes the pinion to spin slightly off center enough to weep fluid past the seal. You can't imagine how many of these I've seen leaking from new.
Thanks for the info. I have a couple questions- how do I seal the yoke to the pinion and how would/do the pinion bearings get water damage?

I guess it's a common problem if you've seen a bunch. After reading your post I wonder if I should change it at all since I changed it about 35k miles ago and it appears it never quit leaking.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

From sitting condensation water collects in the housing and gets mixed with the oil. If the car isn't driven until the rear gets warm enough to burn off the water you can guess the rest. Every time I changed a pinion seal on a rear with low mileage you know something isn't right. Most pinion seal last 100k without leaking, so you can bet some thing is wrong causing it to leak. You can try changing it once and sealing the yoke to the pinion<run a bead of good silicone sealant inside the yoke about 1/4 inch from the nut end. This will seal the pinion to the yoke from weeping. Another important setting is the pinion preload, needs to turn firm but not tight. If it still leaks you need to replace the races and bearings.

I seen the bearings pitted on very low mileage right from the factory. Cars that the dealers changed the pinion seals over and over but still leak. Pull um apart and the bearings have water damage marks all over them. For some reason its a very common thing with these cars. I've owned 6 99 up fbodies, only 1 didn't need pinion bearings. 5 had leaking pinion seals and the only way to stop them was replace the pinion bearings.

What's a little weird they don't look worn, just water marks all over them where you can see water damaged the races and bearing rollers. Local to me shop I called after changing the seal 3 times in the 1st car told me REPLACE THE PINION BEARINGS. I was a little skeptical but he was right on. Good Luck.
I also add 50% synthetic gear oil to help with the water damage from sitting, Straight regular oil and water= damage every time.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
From sitting condensation water collects in the housing and gets mixed with the oil. If the car isn't driven until the rear gets warm enough to burn off the water you can guess the rest. Every time I changed a pinion seal on a rear with low mileage you know something isn't right. Most pinion seal last 100k without leaking, so you can bet some thing is wrong causing it to leak. You can try changing it once and sealing the yoke to the pinion<run a bead of good silicone sealant inside the yoke about 1/4 inch from the nut end. This will seal the pinion to the yoke from weeping. Another important setting is the pinion preload, needs to turn firm but not tight. If it still leaks you need to replace the races and bearings.

I seen the bearings pitted on very low mileage right from the factory. Cars that the dealers changed the pinion seals over and over but still leak. Pull um apart and the bearings have water damage marks all over them. For some reason its a very common thing with these cars. I've owned 6 99 up fbodies, only 1 didn't need pinion bearings. 5 had leaking pinion seals and the only way to stop them was replace the pinion bearings.

What's a little weird they don't look worn, just water marks all over them where you can see water damaged the races and bearing rollers. Local to me shop I called after changing the seal 3 times in the 1st car told me REPLACE THE PINION BEARINGS. I was a little skeptical but he was right on. Good Luck.
I also add 50% synthetic gear oil to help with the water damage from sitting, Straight regular oil and water= damage every time.
Thanks for info Rockin, good writeup! I will try the silicone method, but I bet you're right it will need new bearings, but I am going to try the easiest method first using the silicone.

Quick Reply: '01 Camaro Pinion Seal- 2 options