Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Vibration from rear of car under acceleration above 50mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Vibration from rear of car under acceleration above 50mph

So I bought a 2010 SS camaro a few days ago and I notice I have a pretty bad vibration from the rear of the car when I accelerate at 50+ mph. I can throw it in neutral at anytime and rev it from 70-100mph and never get the vibration. It's only when the car is in gear and under acceleration. It does not do it with the cruise set at any speed only acceleration.

So this leads me to believe it can't be engine related, wheel related, or exhaust related. It must be something in the driveline I jacked the car up and can't see anything wrong. It appears all the bolts are tight and can't see that anything is bent.

So my guess is the driveshaft is bent or out of balance or one of the axles is bent? Anybody have this problem? Let me know what you think!
Old 07-15-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

That's kind of classic pinion angle. But I'm not familiar enough with a 5gen to know if the pinion angles can get as wonky as fourth gen. Check trans rear mount. If its toast, it could be screwing with your trans angle, causes exactly what you're getting
Old 07-16-2017, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
That's kind of classic pinion angle. But I'm not familiar enough with a 5gen to know if the pinion angles can get as wonky as fourth gen. Check trans rear mount. If its toast, it could be screwing with your trans angle, causes exactly what you're getting
The fifth gen uses flex joints (like rag joints), on either end of a two piece driveshaft, unless someone replaced it with a one piece shafts. It's possible the carrier bearing in the middle is worn is loose or worn.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the exhaust off and checked the bolts better and found 2 loose bolts that mount the drive shaft to the rear differential hub. Tightened them up and vibration gone!

Quick Reply: Vibration from rear of car under acceleration above 50mph