Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12 bolt woes, anyone had this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Default Moser 12 bolt woes, anyone had this?

Installing the new 12 bolt in my sons 01 Camaro. Did everything it said. The bearing won't sit flush and backing plate won't either due to the bearing. It feels like the press ring is hitting the inside of the housing.

Of course this all happens after 5pm and Moser is closed. So I have to find time to call tomorrow or if anyone here has an answer, would be great.
Attached Thumbnails Moser 12 bolt woes, anyone had this?-20170815_182010.jpg   Moser 12 bolt woes, anyone had this?-20170815_182001_hdr.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you tried tapping the axles in with a rubber mallet? Sometimes a little persuasion is needed. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, Tried deadblow then graduated to brass hammer. It has a solid rebound.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Yes, Tried deadblow then graduated to brass hammer. It has a solid rebound.
I don't think I have a list showing the 12 bolt axle lengths for the 4th gen F Body. I'd measure the axles and give Moser a call in the morning. Bob

Old 08-15-2017, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Bob, will do.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like 9in axle ends. Had the same issue on my used S60 with 9in axle ends ( was replacing axle bearings is the reason I ran into this issue). The Inner seal was too small for the new wedding ring install on the axle shaft . I removed the inner seal and the axle slid right end.

I left the inner seal out. Not saying it is right, but about an 1,000 miles now. No leaks on the outer seal yet
Old 08-15-2017, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

A guy on yellow bullet installed one today, he told me to measure housing end and bearing. Sure enough, the bearing is thicker than housing end. Bearing is bottoming out in housing.

Moser better figure something out quick. LSFest in a few weeks and my son is coming home on leave before he deploys, to take his car. I'll be pissed if this holds it back.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Look up bearing supply shops, most can take the bearing number off yours and sell you the correct width.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

A guy on yellow bullet installed one today, he told me to measure housing end and bearing. Sure enough, the bearing is thicker than housing end. Bearing is bottoming out in housing.

Moser better figure something out quick. LSFest in a few weeks and my son is coming home on leave before he deploys, to take his car. I'll be pissed if this holds it back.
Moser will take care of you quickly, get with this this morning in a little over half an hour. Bob

Old 08-16-2017, 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Installing the new 12 bolt in my sons 01 Camaro. Did everything it said. The bearing won't sit flush and backing plate won't either due to the bearing. It feels like the press ring is hitting the inside of the housing.

Of course this all happens after 5pm and Moser is closed. So I have to find time to call tomorrow or if anyone here has an answer, would be great.
I found out from Moser that you are running the A20 Tapered roller bearing. The seal will need to be pressed in by the caliper bracket. If you installed the inner housing seals you will need to remove as the T/B requires rear end fluid from the diff to lubricate itself. Bob

Old 08-16-2017, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep, my strange bearings are the same way, the seal is NOT flush with the housing end. There is a groove in the backing plate that allows for the seal to protrude some.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yep, my strange bearings are the same way, the seal is NOT flush with the housing end. There is a groove in the backing plate that allows for the seal to protrude some.
A stock backing plate does not have a groove in it only aftermarket brakes like Strange has a backing plate with a groove in it and the bearing will stick out further than shown when using Strange Brakes.

For the original post that amount you see is perfectly fine, it will expand into the housing end once you install it. Please make sure you go crisscross when tightening the bolts.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I got a call early this morning from Moser and they were right on top of it, Had the original invoice pulled up and all. He said it was normal and the bracket will pull itself into the bearing and press itself into place. That info isn't in the instructions. But he sent detailed pics of the install.

Thanks for the support fellas.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
A stock backing plate does not have a groove in it only aftermarket brakes like Strange has a backing plate with a groove in it and the bearing will stick out further than shown when using Strange Brakes.

For the original post that amount you see is perfectly fine, it will expand into the housing end once you install it. Please make sure you go crisscross when tightening the bolts.
You are correct, the stocker doesnt have the groove but having used both with no bearing issues how are they holding pressure on the bearings the same if they attach differently?

OP heres some pics of mine if you wanna compare

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...l#post18965536
Old 08-17-2017, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

It depends on what brakes, bearings, and housing ends you have to make each application work. There is a solution for each one but with so many companies that use different housing ends and multiple different brake options to complete the task can be different every time.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nah, you misunderstood. Strange 12 bolt (same ends as above), stock brakes (no groove), then switch to strange brakes (grooved) with nothing else changed. How are the bearings loaded the same with two different style backing plates.

Edit: I get it, the bearing depth is located by the axle itself, not the backing plate. The backing plate only locates the seal. I did notice some seepage last week when i pulled them out (they have 200 miles on them). That may be a result of that seal with that backing plate. It wasnt enough to worry about.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 08-17-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

The short of it spacers have to be added or removed to achieve the swap from factory brakes to stock but due to the manufactures housing end differences and type of bearing being used will determine the proper install. You can not take a housing end designed for stock brakes and simply bolt on a Strange type backing plate with a groove on it as there is either a spacer to be added or removed dependent again on the manufactures housing end and type of bearing will determine what steps you take.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

From Strange about the rear drag brakes:

If you bought a Moser or Strange rear and had it set up to mount stock disc brakes, then you are set up to install this brake package.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can not add a Strange Brake package to a rear end that was originally set up for stock brakes without adding or removing spacers based on the housing end manufacture. I am not sure if you called to ask someone at Strange the question and maybe got the incorrect answer or they didn't understand what you asked. As yes a Strange brake kit can be added to any housing and any housing end style but based on the housing end and bearing there is other steps that need to happen as it is not a direct unbolt stock and put on Strange.

I have however assembled well over 200 F-Body specific MWC fabricated nine inches while working here and assembled Strange S60, Moser, 8.8, or any other type of rear end housings for customers that have been brought in to be narrowed or for whatever reason. I am the soul person that assembles all housings that go out the door.

If you look at our brake kit listing on our website it even describes this.
https://midwestchassis.com/products/...rear-brake-kit
Old 08-17-2017, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Calm your ****. That's right, they did come with those spacers. Ok so you use the spacer for stock backing plate, and the strange backing plate has the groove (spacer removed). So they are equal in application.

OP, there are pics of the end spacers in the below thread, which i notice arent in your pic, but i believe our housing ends are the same.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...t-install.html

Quick Reply: Moser 12 bolt woes, anyone had this?