Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HELP Read my gear pattern.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

The new pattern looks pretty good. You didn't get great contrast on the marking so it's hard to say. I find the patterns are a little more clear if you hold the pinion tightly with a rag while going back and forth with the carrier. It might be a tad shallow but that could be my eyes playing tricks.

How are you going to preload the carrier bearings?

And what is your plan to crush the sleeve? I have fabricated a pinion wrench / stand in the past to hold the pinion while tightening the nut. I've also used the press to get the sleeve mostly crushed before taking out a 3/4 breaker bar to finish the job.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
The new pattern looks pretty good. You didn't get great contrast on the marking so it's hard to say. I find the patterns are a little more clear if you hold the pinion tightly with a rag while going back and forth with the carrier. It might be a tad shallow but that could be my eyes playing tricks.

How are you going to preload the carrier bearings?

And what is your plan to crush the sleeve? I have fabricated a pinion wrench / stand in the past to hold the pinion while tightening the nut. I've also used the press to get the sleeve mostly crushed before taking out a 3/4 breaker bar to finish the job.
Hey Bandit! I was just going to use an impact wrench to tighten the pinion nut to set the preload on the pinion. I know, i 've heard that you could possibly damage the bearing races from the hammer effect....but I have no way of holding the pinion yoke from turning if I use a breaker bar. The impact wrench allows me to use a big screw driver to hold the pinion yoke from turning. Also, it is enough to crush the crush sleeve. But this method is not possible when using a breaker bar. Also i'm working underneath my car with the rear end housing still installed.

As for carrier bearing preload? I haven't a clue how to set it and was ignorant to it's existence. I just thought you pit the shims on the outside of the carrier bearings to adjust the backlash and make sure there is no side to side play as well. I have a feeling i'm about to get Baptised again.....
Old 09-03-2017, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not a big fan of impact crushing the sleeve but it will get the job done if you have a big impact wrench Carrier bearings, especially new ones, like to be preloaded. On this type of rear you add equal size shims on either side of the carrier to create preload without altering backlash. A case spreader makes the job easier but some do without. You just have to be very careful not to wod up the shims as you sort of wedge them in while simultaneously tapping in the carrier. I recommend watching some videos on technique. I've done it before but I plan on making a spreader for the next one I do.

​​​​​
Old 09-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I'm not a big fan of impact crushing the sleeve but it will get the job done if you have a big impact wrench Carrier bearings, especially new ones, like to be preloaded. On this type of rear you add equal size shims on either side of the carrier to create preload without altering backlash. A case spreader makes the job easier but some do without. You just have to be very careful not to wod up the shims as you sort of wedge them in while simultaneously tapping in the carrier. I recommend watching some videos on technique. I've done it before but I plan on making a spreader for the next one I do.

​​​​​
Ok great....I will try to wedge equal thickness shims to either side of the carrier. Was gonna ask about pinion preload....I set mine to about 10 inlbs but my instructions for my new ring and oinion say 25 inlbs....but it feels too stiff to turn....is 10inlbs ok? Thanks.

Case spreader? Knowing my luck i'll crack the case...j/k hehe...anyway, thank you again, I should be able to wrap this up tomorrow and I'll keep this thread updated. Later.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Well just a little update. I was able to get everything put back together and took it for a test drive.....no whining! Yes I'm so excited and relieved that it all turned out great. Thanks again for everyone's advice!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Glad to hear. Hopefully it runs smoothly for many years to come!
Old 10-24-2017, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Well done, you had your work cut out for you after installing the bearing with no shim but you've done well.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Joe nic
Well done, you had your work cut out for you after installing the bearing with no shim but you've done well.
Thanks....she's still running strong. This forum is the best with the best people that actually know their *****.

Quick Reply: HELP Read my gear pattern.