Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9 Inch w/locker-gear oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9 Inch w/locker-gear oil?

I have a 9 inch rear end with a locker in my car. Not sure if its called a locker or a spool, both tires turn at all times? It is a street car.

Should I not run synthetic? And would 75w90 or 85w140 be better?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Depends on the type of locker, Friction ones are sensitive to lubrication, gear drives need good lube to prevent gear surface spalling.

Track-locks and Power locks need an additive, Auburn's need the right weight, Eaton Gov locks need the right amount of additive to control when they transition to spool.

Need to ID whats in there..
Old 10-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Depends on the type of locker, Friction ones are sensitive to lubrication, gear drives need good lube to prevent gear surface spalling.

Track-locks and Power locks need an additive, Auburn's need the right weight, Eaton Gov locks need the right amount of additive to control when they transition to spool.

Need to ID whats in there..
Ok thanks. Could I just run some non synthetic 80w90 and some friction additive just in case? If i happen to have a type of locker that doesn't need the additive, it wouldn't hurt it would it?

Quick Reply: 9 Inch w/locker-gear oil?