Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My Moser 9” Nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My Moser 9” Nightmare!

First off let me say I’m completely and utterly disgusted at the quality of my moser 9” that I have got recently. I have saved my *** off for one these hunks of garbage only to turn out disappointed. My rear came packaged absolutely terrible for the wieght of this housing. Bubble wrap? Seriously? How about some strong plastic to protect the housing ends from impacts? Or maybe even some rubber? When I received my rear I installed the center section as well as the axles. As it came time for back plates to be installed one of the housing ends was damaged! One corner where the backing plates are installed was bent back towards the center section. I had to bend it back myself because I was not going to now unbolt the center section and remove one of the axles to ship this back. Second, after I had the axles and center section installed I proceeded to fill the rear with gear oil. An hour later gear oil is all over my garage floor because the drain plug was leaking. I then had to drain, wrap drain plug with Teflon, and re fill. Still a little leak because whoever welded it in must of been high on meth. Contacted moser, they told me to remove axles and center section and re weld. WHAT? Third, I go to install my brand new afco coil overs and my shocks won’t fit their transverse shock mounts. First off, their mounts are not wide enough for me to slide my shock in, and the mount isn’t deep enough for me to be able to slide the shock back far enough to get he bolt through. Not only that, their transverse shock mount is a terrible design. One spacer was welded in, and the other was left there to allow different width bearings to be installed. Well, my shock doesn’t even fit with the free floating bearing out. I am at my wits end with this garbage.

Last edited by Greekey; 10-15-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Completely unacceptable for how much these things run. Sorry about your luck and hope you get something going.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's ridiculous. Very sorry to hear about your trouble!
Old 10-16-2017, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh oh.... I have one being built now. I hope I have better luck than you.

Last edited by LASTLS1; 10-16-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
Uh oh.... I have one being built now. I hope I have better luck than you.
Don't lose sleep over it. If there is a problem, find it before you install. I'm sure they would work with you if there are any problems. Check the flanges tho. Mine rear was misaligned to the point that it was ruining tires. I should have known as it was pretty difficult to install the drivers side axle. I had .10° toe on the pass side and .39° toe on the drivers side. I ended up putting the rear on a frame puller to straighten it.

To the OP, what do you plan to do to correct the shock mount? Looks like you will need to weld new mounting tabs.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
Don't lose sleep over it. If there is a problem, find it before you install. I'm sure they would work with you if there are any problems. Check the flanges tho. Mine rear was misaligned to the point that it was ruining tires. I should have known as it was pretty difficult to install the drivers side axle. I had .10° toe on the pass side and .39° toe on the drivers side. I ended up putting the rear on a frame puller to straighten it.

To the OP, what do you plan to do to correct the shock mount? Looks like you will need to weld new mounting tabs.
I paid to have them assemble the thing.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:42 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Sorry to hear and see your problems with your rear end!! I've had a Moser rear before and didn't have your problems. I hope you get them all resolved. Let us know how this plays out.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I managed to turn shock the other way around! Had to bend the mount a little bit to get the bearing to slide in. Also grinded out the spacer that was in the mount. This is my only option. Has anyone inverted their shocks like this?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:47 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I'm pretty sure they can be inverted. Thought I remembered reading that.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
I'm pretty sure they can be inverted. Thought I remembered reading that.
Think this mounting will be sufficient?!
Old 10-17-2017, 08:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Turning them that way will not be an issue if I remember right Afco recommends mounting that way.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Google, Google, Google. For such a large popular company, you sure read a lot of stuff like this. I have had my share of trouble with Moser stuff. I don't use them any more. There are too many companies out there that still have a handle on customer service.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

OP, AI hope you get this all worked out. It sucks to buy something that has issues.

Stuff like this is why both my cars have a Hawk's 8.8 rear end.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Just want to point out, this is quoted from Gabriel shock company:

"Can I mount my shock upside-down?
No. With the exception of a few specialty shocks, you should never mount your shock absorbers upside down. Typical twin-tube shocks are simply not designed to function upside down for many important reasons. Attempts to do this will likely result in poor shock performance, premature failure and potential damage to your vehicle."
Old 10-19-2017, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Number Tew
Just want to point out, this is quoted from Gabriel shock company:

"Can I mount my shock upside-down?
No. With the exception of a few specialty shocks, you should never mount your shock absorbers upside down. Typical twin-tube shocks are simply not designed to function upside down for many important reasons. Attempts to do this will likely result in poor shock performance, premature failure and potential damage to your vehicle."
Called afco this morning and they told me inverting their shocks won’t be a problem.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why accept that, i would send it back and demand a new one, no way that thing would go on my car. All large purchases i put on a credit card so i can dispute it if something like this comes up.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

^^I agree. I can also understand its a hassle. but I would have told them to shove it up their **** if they told me to "weld" their mistakes.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
OP, AI hope you get this all worked out. It sucks to buy something that has issues.

Stuff like this is why both my cars have a Hawk's 8.8 rear end.
I asked about them. Didn't get a great response.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...wks-8-8-a.html
Old 10-19-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
Google, Google, Google. For such a large popular company, you sure read a lot of stuff like this. I have had my share of trouble with Moser stuff. I don't use them any more. There are too many companies out there that still have a handle on customer service.
Wish more people would do this, in just a few minutes you can find out alot of info to make a better informed decision about a large purchase...
Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Greekey
Called afco this morning and they told me inverting their shocks won’t be a problem.
Good to hear it!

Quick Reply: My Moser 9” Nightmare!