Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Will my 10 bolt last?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Doesn't sound like the OP plans on spending much time at the track/racing:

Originally Posted by LS_Power
My car rarly sees a drag strip mostly a street car and driving around town. Just wanted to see what you guys think will happen.
Probably not worthwhile to spend a ton of cash on a high dollar rear unless you plan on regularly racing. Especially not with an A4. I certainly wouldn't.

To counter all those aforementioned Youtube videos, there is this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ock-7-5-a.html
Old 01-08-2018, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save your money for a future rear end. The stock 10 bolt will eventually break. Even if you occasionally run at the track, stop light to stop light fun is not going to prolong the life of that 10 bolt.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

That axle brace kit cant really be doing a whole hell of a lot. Just a trick to get you to spend money IMHO. I was obsessed with it when I first got my car, glad I never bought.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:17 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I operate a lot on gut feeling, it serves me well. My gut feeling on stock 7.5" f-body ten bolts as of 2018 is this; Considering the age of ALL of these diffs now and the ease of power mods available? Even suggesting to race a 7.5" is irresponsible, truly it is. They are not safe in stock LS1 form with sticky tires. There were so many failures in the 80's with third gens running over a hundred horsepower less the sheer fact that anyone thinks them good to go is scary to me. I surely dont want any of you ten bolt fans in a professional capacity in charge of any safety rules at work, thats for sure.

The story should read that some do hold power, but this drivetrain component is the #1 safety upgrade mod for any torque arm f-body.

Cringe to type this; its only a matter of time until a ten bolt is the sole responsibility for someones death. Its happened many times by now I'd be almost certain of that but in the days before 'pics or it didnt happen'

Mustangs and Camaro crashes, seen plenty. Mustangs ate 3rd gear in the T5 or barfed an axle out because of c-clips and drums. Camaros because 7.5" torque arm twisted weak sauce. Tons of em
Old 01-08-2018, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I am still irresponsible going on 11 years of running the little 7.5" rear in my car.
I have a stack of timeslips showing this to be true.
Behind an auto the 10 bolt is fine.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by cam
I operate a lot on gut feeling, it serves me well. My gut feeling on stock 7.5" f-body ten bolts as of 2018 is this; Considering the age of ALL of these diffs now and the ease of power mods available? Even suggesting to race a 7.5" is irresponsible, truly it is. They are not safe in stock LS1 form with sticky tires. There were so many failures in the 80's with third gens running over a hundred horsepower less the sheer fact that anyone thinks them good to go is scary to me. I surely dont want any of you ten bolt fans in a professional capacity in charge of any safety rules at work, thats for sure.

The story should read that some do hold power, but this drivetrain component is the #1 safety upgrade mod for any torque arm f-body.

Cringe to type this; its only a matter of time until a ten bolt is the sole responsibility for someones death. Its happened many times by now I'd be almost certain of that but in the days before 'pics or it didnt happen'

Mustangs and Camaro crashes, seen plenty. Mustangs ate 3rd gear in the T5 or barfed an axle out because of c-clips and drums. Camaros because 7.5" torque arm twisted weak sauce. Tons of em
^ Wow. This is just alarmist and overblown IMO. We've had this same debate in another thread before, no point in doing it again as we've obviously had some different experiences which have led to different conclusions. Agree to disagree.

The data and experience is out there, folks will have to decide for themselves if the risk is really that serious for their given application.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:18 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Your right on both counts. It is alarmist, and accurate too. Odds are with me not you. Macro scale percentages suggest the odds are inevitable with enough time. Win lotto type odds perhaps, but they are there, and they are certain, its merely enough chances vs risk to sum out.

That said it is a dead horse and I will abstain from further remarks on the durability of the stock ten bolt. Its down on record a few times

Thats enough. Best to all
Old 01-08-2018, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by cam
Odds are with me not you. Macro scale percentages suggest the odds are inevitable with enough time. Win lotto type odds perhaps, but they are there, and they are certain, its merely enough chances vs risk to sum out.
It's certain that everything will eventually wear out/break/fail given enough time, there is no valid argument against that. Cars are not carved from solid blocks of granite, so they are all certainly doomed to eventual and total failure at some point - not just the rear. And many of those failures could lead to safety concerns depending on the situation. If zero risk is acceptable then racing in general should absolutely be off the table, upgraded rear or not. I do understand the concept of picking at the low hanging fruit first, but the height at which said fruit hangs (or, rather the urgency with which it needs to be picked) will vary depending on application. Plenty of data and experience is out there for each individual to decide for himself.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

A4 10 bolt life

Old 01-09-2018, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

So wait, you guys are saying that 7.5's aren't great? Never heard that before.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cam

Do you have a roll cage with good seats and a harness? Your logic will show that you are much more likely to die from a regular ole car crash than one caused by a 10 bolt. I see a much bigger issue with the guys that swap out their steering wheels and ditch the airbag. The rear is definitely not the first safety upgrade for these vehicles.

Quick Reply: Will my 10 bolt last?