Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

damaged yoke seal surfaces?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry damaged yoke seal surfaces?

I just want to double check with you guys, last time I geared a salvage rear end, and I decided to not change the yoke since the sealing surfaces didn't catch my fingernails or so I thought, So i decided it was a good idea and re used it. Skip several thousands miles later and lord behold the diff is wet under the pinion area. It wasn't a massive leak but enough to annoy me. I went to o'reilly and got me a cheap $100 dorman yoke which I hope I don't regret, I just didn't want to wait 3 days to get a yukon one off amazon, since I have to travel tomorrow. I just finished replacing it about an hour ago and I'm just waiting for the red thread locker to set a few hours before I go test it. Now my question is; did I overlook the lower part of the sealing surface? there seem to be a sharp ridge at the bottom of the yoke now that i look at it and a slight groove on the top area that doesn't seem to catch my fingernails its smooth! but I can still barely notice when I run my fingernails across. Thank god I listened to you guys and used a solid spacer for this one or it would have been a pain. I just torqued it to 130 ft lbs and called it good. The reason am asking is because I'm paranoid it might be something else.
here is a few pics from different angles;

Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks relatively decent to me.
BUT rear end fluid is known to leak thru the pinion gear/yoke splines,not a lot but annoying. Even though there's a flat washer under the pinion/yoke nut,I apply RTV to the splines just in case.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Looks relatively decent to me.
BUT rear end fluid is known to leak thru the pinion gear/yoke splines,not a lot but annoying. Even though there's a flat washer under the pinion/yoke nut,I apply RTV to the splines just in case.
splines were pretty clean no oil, it was coming from the lip of the seal. I went for a test drive and it seems to be dry so far. I just hope it was the yoke or the seal I used the first time that was bad. Specially since I tapped it in uneven when I did it back a while ago. This time I used a proper driver and it went in with no effort. I was just paranoid it might be something else going on with it, oil looked brand new, and I haven't heard whine from the rear so I hope it was just that.

Quick Reply: damaged yoke seal surfaces?