Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just had my Moser 12 bolt rebuilt...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just had my Moser 12 bolt rebuilt...

first let me say I know a 9 inch is better for those that feel compelled to inform me of that fact.....lol! I had rearend out of car and decided to have it completely redone and change the gear. Only part not new is true-trac. It has the big Ford axle bearings, 33 spline axles, All new everything from Moser. Got it back in car today , haven't put gear oil in yet but it's a bitch to turn, have to put hammer between studs to spin it. Is it normal for it to be so hard to spin with or without gear oil?
Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Are the brakes installed? They typically drag. Turn from the pinion where the driveshaft would mount. Yes it should be firm to turn.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Are the brakes installed? They typically drag. Turn from the pinion where the driveshaft would mount. Yes it should be firm to turn.
The brakes are on now but there's no lines in the calipers and the pistons are all he way it...even before brakes where on it was really tough to get ait to turn...he barely got it to move by hand.I didn't try it from pinion, my buddy did and it turned but not easily.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Trutrac should spin like an open diff. The pinion yoke should be harder to turn.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Should have some resistance, but shouldnt have a problem spinning the shafts or pinion by hand.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Spinning from the pinion gives your engine, and your hand, a mechanical geared twisting advantage, say 3.73 to 1. Turning from the wheel reverses the advantage and makes it physically harder to turn the assembly. Just saying. Turn it from the pinion, and yes it should be firm and pretty difficult by hand.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Figure at most 30inlbs on the pinion bearings plus 30inlbs on the carrier......that's 60 inlbs at the max. That's not much to turn even figuring in the seals. It should turn firm with one hand easily. Anything more I'd be pulling the cover to see what is set up so tight.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, its not quite that simple. You arent factoring in the raw weight of everything being turned, the brakes dragging, the posi and how it functions, and the fact that you do NOT have the leverage of the measuring device that you used to get your "30" inch/pounds measurement. New rear ends even trying to twist on the yoke are very firm but smooth. Two hands tight, you aint gonna reach up and twist a fresh bearing set grabbing the pinion with your wrist.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

I built and worked on 100s of rears. Posi or no posi has NOTHING to do with it, the axles turn extremely easily either way. I'm a pro with over 40 years experience. With just bare axles if I can't turn the pinion with one hand easily it comes back apart. I personally set everything on the high side if its new and in the middle if its used. I've posted this before but 30 inch lbs on the pinion is fairly stiff to break away but easy once turning. What I'm feeling for is how smooth it turns, if it turns rough or loose and tight it gets pulled back apart until I find the issue. I'm very fussy while building so I really haven't run into such problems. Doing pinions seals on used rears is where you run into trouble like this.

If this guy needs a HAMMER to turn the pinion with just axles its way wrong I don't care what you or anyone else thinks. Logic tells you if you have 30inchlbs on the pinion and 30 on the carrier it should turn easily. The posi has no effect on this and the axles bearings nearly nothing either UNLESS something is set up wrong. Logically pull the cover pull the axles and start checking things until you find what is set too tight.

I had a rear that a dealer set up wrong with ZERO back lash.......it turned hard............don't assume anything unless you like pulling thing back apart.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 01-26-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I built and worked on 100s of rears. Posi or no posi has NOTHING to do with it, the axles turn extremely easily either way. I'm a pro with over 40 years experience. With just bare axles if I can't turn the pinion with one hand easily it comes back apart. I personally set everything on the high side if its new and in the middle if its used. I've posted this before but 30 inch lbs on the pinion is fairly stiff to break away but easy once turning. What I'm feeling for is how smooth it turns, if it turns rough or loose and tight it gets pulled back apart until I find the issue. I'm very fussy while building so I really haven't run into such problems. Doing pinions seals on used rears is where you run into trouble like this.

If this guy needs a HAMMER to turn the pinion with just axles its way wrong I don't care what you or anyone else thinks. Logic tells you if you have 30inchlbs on the pinion and 30 on the carrier it should turn easily. The posi has no effect on this and the axles bearings nearly nothing either UNLESS something is set up wrong. Logically pull the cover pull the axles and start checking things until you find what is set too tight.

I had a rear that a dealer set up wrong with ZERO back lash.......it turned hard............don't assume anything unless you like pulling thing back apart.
I guess we need clarification from the op. I read it as he needs to put a hammer in the wheel studs to turn them. Thats a bit different than if it's pinion studs which not all cars have.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Dam talk about never mind lol I don't see so well any more. Yeah turning it by the studs would certainly make it very hard to turn depending on a bunch of things. Ignore my mad raging above.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its frustrating, I get it some people dont know what they are looking at. What he sees as too firm, someone else might say its fine. It reminds me of the guys (ATVers are the worst) that check backlash by turning the pinion. No matter how many times you explain it, they just dont see why it cant be done that way. A new rear should be 25 inch pounds, when there is only the pinion installed. But as you keep adding bearings and pure mechanical weight, that starts getting harder and harder. Then factor in your trying to turn with nothing solid to grip onto (probably by hand), it "appears" too hard, when its simply a combination of forces working against you. Food for thought, my 12 bolt posi (when i had it) and 35 spline axles weigh every bit of 50+ pounds, other rears would be similar. You're turning some weight on a fully assembled rear.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Yes but axles should be easy to turn by hand with a Trutrac. Not pinion by the pinion though. We still need clarification but if I read it correctly, if it's difficult to turn an axle with a hammer handle by the WHEEL STUDS, there could be an issue. I have a Trutrac in a 12 bolt and even with brakes fully installed and bled, the axles turn easily by hand by grabbing the studs with your fingers.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes I agree, its hard to diagnose through the internet.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies guys. The guy who built the rear end came out to look at it and said it feels good, tight but good it's a bitch to turn it by the axles. You can do it grabbing around the studs but hammer makes it easier...still not easy.i had another shop press on the bearings on axles. When I put the axles in they didn't easily slide in when it got to the bearings...had to tap on each side with a rubber hammer to get the axles all the way in...big Ford type. He said the bearings might haven't been pressed on unevenly and that could be the issue...opinions on that?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nope, those style bearings require light tapping. You don't want them loose.

Quick Reply: Just had my Moser 12 bolt rebuilt...