Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broke torque arm at track..rearend whine now

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Broke torque arm at track..rearend whine now

I have a 2000 Camaro SS 6speed hci car with a Ford 9'. I took the car to the track a month or so ago and made several passes and then on the last pass I left and knew something broke. I looked under the car and didn't see anything so I drove the car back home and the rear end was making an awful noise. I should of trailered the car but it was too late for that, was just trying to get it back home. Well, I get it back and on the lift and notice the torque arm had broke off the rearend and let the rearend move around. This is a home made torque arm. So, I had it welded back up and put it back on the car and now the rear end still has some noise, not as much as when the TA was broke but still a lot more noisey than before. I've never taken a rear end apart, what could be causing this noise? The rear end in the car was very quiet before and had almost no noise. The rear whines but is really bad when you let off the gas. Just trying to see what I could be getting into before I tear it apart, also it is leaking fluid now.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Did the rear end whine before this happened?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Did the rear end whine before this happened?
No, the rear end made no noise.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The whine is most likely from the gears, but that had to be hard on the bearings. You're going to want somebody with experience rebuild the rear. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website