Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wierd "thud" when on gas, off gas at highway speed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Wierd "thud" when on gas, off gas at highway speed.

Been a few years since I asked, but I never found a solution.
Car has M6 tranny, MWC Fab9 w/ 4.11's and long torque arm with elastomer ball-end, PST aluminum driveshaft, tubular LCA's and PH bar.

At highway speeds...typically over 75MPH, I get a weird "thud" noise/vibe for a split-second, when you let off the gas, or re-apply the gas. Never does this below 70MPH. If you just a bit of gas, then let off and repeat...does it every time. You can feel it in the floorbboard, and hear it as well and its definitely something to do with the "torque" being lightly removed or re-applied. modulating the throttle.

I really cant recall if the it did this after the MWC install. Its been 10 years or so. But its just super annoying and I would really like to reduce or eliminate it since its a "fun" car and never sees the track.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2018, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would be looking at the torque arm and mount, also u-joints in the driveshaft and sway bar links. Just over all inspect the suspension. Put your eyes on it and touch every component.