Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is there a clutch rebuild kit for the auburn limited slip ?

Old 06-09-2018, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is there a clutch rebuild kit for the auburn limited slip ?

Trying to find if there is a clutch kit available for the auburn limited slip out of a 02 camaro ss.Noticed mines only has one wheel peel now.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

An 02 would have had a Torsen posi off the assembly line,if you do have an Auburn it would have been optioned and installed at SLP when they converted the Z28 to an SS.
But to answer your question,NO. The Auburn clutch is a 'cone style' clutch and as the cones wear,the carriers' inside surfaces also wear as they have a corresponding surface to match the cones angle.
Have you had the cover off to verify it's an Auburn. If it is an Auburn,it requires the 'additive'.
How many miles on the car ?
6 speed(3.42) had a series 3 carrier,A4's had 3 series if 3.23 and 2 series if 2.73.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
An 02 would have had a Torsen posi off the assembly line,if you do have an Auburn it would have been optioned and installed at SLP when they converted the Z28 to an SS.
But to answer your question,NO. The Auburn clutch is a 'cone style' clutch and as the cones wear,the carriers' inside surfaces also wear as they have a corresponding surface to match the cones angle.
Have you had the cover off to verify it's an Auburn. If it is an Auburn,it requires the 'additive'.
How many miles on the car ?
6 speed(3.42) had a series 3 carrier,A4's had 3 series if 3.23 and 2 series if 2.73.
I stand corrected it is a torsen posi !! Do they make a kit for it?
Old 06-10-2018, 06:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

A Torsen does not have clutches as the more familiar Auburns and Eatons,only has gears to control power distribution. It is not going to act like an Auburn.

https://torsen.com/how-it-works/
Old 06-10-2018, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

I was curious if torsens were rebuild able....checked their website....and NO...they are not rebuild able...no parts are available.....all you can do is purchase a new torsen unit
Old 07-03-2018, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Could buy a used one and use the internal parts to repair yours or swap it out. The stock Torsen breaks very easy, I've broken a few with just a hard 1-2 shift with auto trans. If you want something that can take a pounding by a Auburn and stuff it in there BUT If you buy a new one have it balanced. I bought a new Auburn carrier and it wasn't balanced, shook back of the car above 40mph and beyond. Pulled it back out and sure enough it was never balanced. If you buy OEM GM(dealer part) part it would balanced I'm sure. I bought mine from Summit Auburn replacement carrier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there a clutch rebuild kit for the auburn limited slip ?