Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Backing Plate for new S60, what part?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backing Plate for new S60, what part?

Ok, so Im about to order a new S60 for my 00 WS6...I had talked to strange a few months ago, and then again today and got 2 different answers on what they needed sent in to have the diff completely assembled. First guy a while back said I needed to send in backing plates with the E-Brake stuff attached, and the guy today said the just needed to send the thick piece with the 4 bolt holes that are attached to the E-brake...I found a set of backing plates with everything together that a guy would give me for free, but the E-brake part is toast...the rubber around the hook etc is dry rotted. If all Strange needed was the plate with 4 bolt holes I was going to send them that, then transfer my good e brake stuff over once I got the new S60 delivered...Anyone know exactly what needs to be sent in or have pic?? This is the stuff the guy is giving me....Do I just need the piece that's on back of these to send in?
Old 10-31-2018, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

That should be all they need as the backing plates go on before the axles. It can be a little tough to install the hardware and shoes with the axle installed but definitely doable, just easier on a bench.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Still does not answer my question though
Old 10-31-2018, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you send them what you have (in that picture) they will be able to assemble your rear.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Again, that does not answer my question. As stated in the original post the e brake part of the stuff in the pic is toast. The e brake stuff and the thick piece behind it separates.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Yes the two do separate. The thick one is what the caliper mounts to and contains the mechanism for the e-brake/parking brake. The thin sheet metal one is referred to as the 'dust shield' and holds the e-brake shoe ring in place. Both are required to be in place/mounted before the axles go in.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Thanks. So I guess if the dust shield/e brake ever needs to be replaced the axels have to be pulled out?
Old 10-31-2018, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Yes the two do separate. The thick one is what the caliper mounts to and contains the mechanism for the e-brake/parking brake. The thin sheet metal one is referred to as the 'dust shield' and holds the e-brake shoe ring in place. Both are required to be in place/mounted before the axles go in.
Originally Posted by chevyss2008
Again, that does not answer my question. As stated in the original post the e brake part of the stuff in the pic is toast. The e brake stuff and the thick piece behind it separates.

ahh my bad my bad. I have an LT1 and have not messed with the LS1 backing plates. Did not realize there are two separate "plates" to the set up. Looks like first year got you set up though.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Yea it just sucks the E brake part of the free stuff is so bad, and mine are great shape. I just don't want my car down for 3-4 weeks taking up space at the shop if I take all my stuff off to send in.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

You mention 'at the shop'. At home,you got garage,floor jack,& jackstands ? Put car on stands,remove rear end cover,remove Torsen paddle/block,remove calipers (without disconnecting hydraulic line and let them hang),remove axle c-clips,pull axles,swap backing plate assemblies. 4 bolts and e-brake actuator cable and they're off.
If you're putting in a S60,evidently very soon,what does it matter if you have crappy assemblies on it for a short while because how often do you use the e-brake.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Ok, so Im about to order a new S60 for my 00 WS6...I had talked to strange a few months ago, and then again today and got 2 different answers on what they needed sent in to have the diff completely assembled. First guy a while back said I needed to send in backing plates with the E-Brake stuff attached, and the guy today said the just needed to send the thick piece with the 4 bolt holes that are attached to the E-brake...I found a set of backing plates with everything together that a guy would give me for free, but the E-brake part is toast...the rubber around the hook etc is dry rotted. If all Strange needed was the plate with 4 bolt holes I was going to send them that, then transfer my good e brake stuff over once I got the new S60 delivered...Anyone know exactly what needs to be sent in or have pic?? This is the stuff the guy is giving me....Do I just need the piece that's on back of these to send in?
You can send in that whole thing but when I did mine I removed the e-brake assembly from the backing plate and the brake shoe. They don't need the black dust shield they just really need the backing plate. If your going to be sending them the backing plates and shields be sure to package them well as I've had the dust shields from my backing plates ruined because the metal is so thin and those UPS workers just treat it as a box. If it where me I would not include the dust shields.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks for that response. The thick backing plate part with 4 bolt holes is all I thought they needed, not the whole e brake assm and dust shield. Im pretty sure those can be replaced without having to pull the axels.....I mean GM must have figured E brake pads and stuff would wear and have to be replaced, and designed the set up not to have to pull axle just to change or replace them
Old 10-31-2018, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Thanks for that response. The thick backing plate part with 4 bolt holes is all I thought they needed, not the whole e brake assm and dust shield. Im pretty sure those can be replaced without having to pull the axels.....I mean GM must have figured E brake pads and stuff would wear and have to be replaced, and designed the set up not to have to pull axle just to change or replace them
Correct and hang onto them because those dust shields especially the driver side is getting difficult to find.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:28 PM
Launching!

True that...I was lucky someone in our group said I could have the stuff in the pic for free. The E brake stuff looks rusted and corroded....The ones on my car are great shape. I just didn't want the shop to have my car sitting taking up space while Strange is building my rear end...He stays busy and I don't want my car taking up room at his shop. Was just weird how one Strange guy said they needed the whole assembly, and another guy just said they just needed the thick piece off what I have pictured. Im anxious to get this S60 in the car and take it to the track after break in and see what she will do in the 1/4...After I recoup from the cost of the new LS3 set up and S60 Im going to put the Nitrous Outlet system installed in the car.