Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Any Longterm Success with Keeping a Hawks 8.8 QUIET?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Any Longterm Success with Keeping a Hawks 8.8 QUIET?

Guys I'm considering a Hawks 8.8 to replace my Strange 12-bolt which is just a howling whining nightmare after several gear replacements and no assistance from Strange. They are well known to make noise. Hawks specifically mentions the 8.8 as a quiet solution. Anyone put medium power to one through an auto and drag radials and had it stay quiet?

http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/hawk...-end-assembly/
Old 11-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also considering an 8.8. I have no experience with one personally, but the way I look at it is this. Thousands of heavy explorers and mountaineers are out there for 200,000+ miles with no problems and many many foxbody mustang's have gone and continue to go to the track also with little to no problems. Seems fine to me, give it a shot!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
I am also considering an 8.8. I have no experience with one personally, but the way I look at it is this. Thousands of heavy explorers and mountaineers are out there for 200,000+ miles with no problems and many many foxbody mustang's have gone and continue to go to the track also with little to no problems. Seems fine to me, give it a shot!
Well the thing is, Strange 12-bolts have little to no problems besides being noisy as all hell. So it's not really an issue of problems as it is being silent.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
Well the thing is, Strange 12-bolts have little to no problems besides being noisy as all hell. So it's not really an issue of problems as it is being silent.
"Problems" ranging from noisy operation to total failure and everything in between. Sorry, could have worded that differently.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What causes that in 12 bolts? I really am curious as to why this seems to be so common in those rear ends.
I've owned several 8.8 vehicles and they mainly only seem to fail if they aren't properly maintained, or if they are overloaded, which I have done in 2 of them and when I inspected it it was mainly bad pinion bearings with some ring and pinion wear, which is normal for 200k+ I would assume. The last one that failed was on a E-150 and it had bad pinion bearings and .19 backlash which I assume was due to the wear over time and abuse, the ring gear looked a little sharp too. By overloading I mean loading way more weight than recommended by ford and hauling it for a prolonged duration of 100 miles+ but they usually make it past 200K even when not maintained.

Last edited by erickk120; 11-07-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get an 8.8 under there with some torque arm action and I assure you it will be making the same noise as the 12 bolt. Very similar rears, but surely the strange housing is better than an OEM 8.8
Old 11-07-2018, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 8.8 in my Iroc with a different setup than you are after... but mine is pretty quiet, except on decel, but I think my 4.11 gears weren't setup correctly. I have an 9" in my Formula and it is quite louder.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by erickk120
What causes that in 12 bolts? I really am curious as to why this seems to be so common in those rear ends.
I've owned several 8.8 vehicles and they mainly only seem to fail if they aren't properly maintained, or if they are overloaded, which I have done in 2 of them and when I inspected it it was mainly bad pinion bearings with some ring and pinion wear, which is normal for 200k+ I would assume. The last one that failed was on a E-150 and it had bad pinion bearings and .19 backlash which I assume was due to the wear over time and abuse, the ring gear looked a little sharp too. By overloading I mean loading way more weight than recommended by ford and hauling it for a prolonged duration of 100 miles+ but they usually make it past 200K even when not maintained.
The consensus is that the housings distort due to the torque arm mount. The Strange/ Moser 12-bolt housings simply weren't engineered strongly enough to withstand the torquing of the torque arm, so that causes distortion over time, which changes the backlash and causes gear whine. Some say the S60 is the way to go, others say the MWC 9" setup is the way to go. I'll tell you one thing, the relatively small difference in cost between any of the aftermarket offerings is completely inconsequential compared to the aggravation of spending $2-4k on a diff and having it make noise like a $500 junker. The torque arm theory, to me, makes complete sense.

I know that rear ends can stay quiet under big power if you don't hook off a transbrake or launch on slicks. It's absolutely absurd that an aftermarket F-Body rear end that costs $3k+ can't stay quiet on a goddamn bolt-on street car that primarily spins the tires and spends all of its life on a drag radial and stock stall converter. It's ABSURD. My 10 sec turbo Silverado (4WD) would spin the tires all day long in RWD but the stock 8.625" 10-bolt with stock 3.42 gears and a TruTrac never ever made a peep! At the track I 4WD launched it and it would 60ft 1.6x and the diff never made noise after years of abuse. I've also had fox bodies that were silent even after being launched of off the rev limiter on slicks. Althought in an F-body, if you are a stick car and launching at the track, all bets are off and in my opinion because the torque arm mount is on only one side. It's a strange design for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (11-06-2023)
Old 11-08-2018, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Hell no, get an s60. If you messed up the 12 bolt, the same fate will fall to the 8.8 since they are basically the same rearend.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Yup....some of the bearings are even the same.

the 8.8 is no where near as bullet proof as the mustang crowd leads people to believe either. They're just ALOT better than a 7.5.

mwc 9" is my vote. You can get the base package from them pretty reasonable then source even a stock 9" carrier and have a decent piece and it comes with a tq arm.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

the 8.8 is no where near as bullet proof as the mustang crowd leads people to believe either. They're just ALOT better than a 7.5.

mwc 9" is my vote. You can get the base package from them pretty reasonable then source even a stock 9" carrier and have a decent piece and it comes with a tq arm.
With our Black Friday specials fast approaching there will be deals to be had on our fab 9's.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
With our Black Friday specials fast approaching there will be deals to be had on our fab 9's.
MWC what sort of policy do you have when a customer buys your top of the line 9" with say a 3.40 or 3.50 or 3.70 ratio and the unit makes noise after a while. How often does that happen, all BS aside? Because for a bolt-on A4 street car like mine I'd rather just do a braced 10-bolt because I know for a fact that a 10-bolt will stay quiet as long as you don't shock it with a clutch dump and hook.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

I've had a Hawk's 8.8 with 4.10's in my 91 RS for three years and 10,000 miles. It's still quite. The car makes 465 whp & 442 wtq. The car has street tires and chirps them with ease when power shifting etc.

​​​​​​My 99 TA also has a Hawk's 8.8 with 4.10's for a year and a half and 12,000 miles. It's still quite. The car makes 517 whp & 471 wtq. The car has street tires and chirps them with ease when power shifting. The rear end survived the car being stolen and having the hell beat out of it by the car thief. The K-member shifted slightly with the pounding and Dukes of Hazzard **** that was done. The 416 broke after a mechanical over-rev. The McCloud RXT clutch feels different
However, both the Magnum & Hawk's 8.8 are exactly like they were new.

One of my friends was impressed the Hawk's 8.8 held up as well as it did and considered one. However his goal is 1,500 whp so he went with the Midwest Chassis aluminum 9 inch and is very happy with it. The MWC aluminum 9 inch was about $2,000 more than my Hawk's 8.8, he showed me his invoice for what he paid. He's very haply with the MWC aluminum 9 inch.

If the car is 1,000 + hp I'd definitely want the MWC. If slicks and side stepped clutch at 6,000 rpm is your thing week after week, ideally the MWC.

​​​​​​I can replace a couple of pinion bearings in both of my 8.8's for $2,000 and I'd buy the Hawk's 8.8 again.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MWC what sort of policy do you have when a customer buys your top of the line 9" with say a 3.40 or 3.50 or 3.70 ratio and the unit makes noise after a while. How often does that happen, all BS aside? Because for a bolt-on A4 street car like mine I'd rather just do a braced 10-bolt because I know for a fact that a 10-bolt will stay quiet as long as you don't shock it with a clutch dump and hook.
Well, there's nothing true about that statement.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Let me guess you've experienced Moser customer service and Moser build quality?

Mid-West has top notch quality and customer support. I don't own one but I have two friends that do they haven't had any issues. Both have only good to say about MWC.

One thing that can help any rear end stay quite is after heat cycling and break in, say 500 miles or so is to change the differential fluid and get contamination out from break in.

Likewise, beating on the car changing diff fluid as part of normal maintenance helps.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 11-09-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

I get what you're saying, but i highly do not recommend a stock carrier. I've seen them break under minimal punishment. It creates a weakpoint in what could be an almost bullet proof rearend.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I agree. But it would get him in a better rear than a 8.8 for pretty reasonable.....and still alot better than a 10bolt.

he could upgrade the center as his needs and funds permit.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We do not warranty gear noise all aftermarket gears and rears are prone to possibly having noise and some manufactures are going to be worse than others now with that being said if the gear noise is beyond tolerable we do what we can to take care of it.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Let me guess you've experienced Moser customer service and Moser build quality?

Mid-West has top notch quality and customer support. I don't own one but I have two friends that do they haven't had any issues. Both have only good to say about MWC.

One thing that can help any rear end stay quite is after heat cycling and break in, say 500 miles or so is to change the differential fluid and get contamination out from break i
Likewise, beating on the car changing diff fluid as part of normal maintenance helps.
Thank you for your kind words we at Midwest Chassis appreciate it. Now for your comment on the break in procedure i agree completely with you breaking them in properly goes a long way to inure that gear noise and premature wear do not happen.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
When will pricing be out on them? I have been holding off on ordering my S60 from Eric due to my upcoming back surgery, but may have to go ahead and jump on a deal for the Fab 9"