Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Spool/clutch-posi/truetrac/locker ( help me make a wise choice )

Old 11-27-2018, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kerrynzl
Stiffen the rear roll-couple by using a rear anti-roll-bar [or a stiffer one if you already have one]

With a stiffer rear roll couple and the car will handle without any adverse side affects.

The difference between the inside and outside turning circumference is usually less than the slip angle on most types.

I've always run locked rears in my Road Racers [now I have a torsen which is a whole new learning experience]
I’m still trying to understand it all
Old 11-27-2018, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spool will have a more pronounced harshness to it with a radial tire, due to no sidewall flex or very little compared to a bias ply tire. With my drag set up
you really don't know it has a spool. With the radials it is more noticeable when turning corners. We actually drove my car with a spool and 3.90 ratio to and from the races for over two years and never had an issue, the distance drove averaged approx. 500 miles one way. I do not daily mine but if i needed to depend on it i would not think twice about it.
It is up to you to be happy when driving, you want the dependability and smooth operation like a normal street car except it is way more to the high performance side and that is a very fine line to walk. A taller sidewall will help some but i do not think you are going to be happy until you get something in there besides the spool. Personally i do not hate my choice using the spool but i race mine 90% of the time and street driven 10%. I can say this when i'm at the strip i can leave the line at 5500 rpm's and not worry about hooking in a straight line. Mine is a stick car too.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to daily drive my Camaro with a spooled 9, unless I was turning very tight (parking space or similar) I never really noticed it. I put a posi in the T/A I have now, but that is getting swapped out for a spool.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blk99camaro
I used to daily drive my Camaro with a spooled 9, unless I was turning very tight (parking space or similar) I never really noticed it. I put a posi in the T/A I have now, but that is getting swapped out for a spool.
May I ask the reason why you are not pleased with the posi in the TA
Old 11-28-2018, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2011grandsport
The spool will have a more pronounced harshness to it with a radial tire, due to no sidewall flex or very little compared to a bias ply tire. With my drag set up
you really don't know it has a spool. With the radials it is more noticeable when turning corners. We actually drove my car with a spool and 3.90 ratio to and from the races for over two years and never had an issue, the distance drove averaged approx. 500 miles one way. I do not daily mine but if i needed to depend on it i would not think twice about it.
It is up to you to be happy when driving, you want the dependability and smooth operation like a normal street car except it is way more to the high performance side and that is a very fine line to walk. A taller sidewall will help some but i do not think you are going to be happy until you get something in there besides the spool. Personally i do not hate my choice using the spool but i race mine 90% of the time and street driven 10%. I can say this when i'm at the strip i can leave the line at 5500 rpm's and not worry about hooking in a straight line. Mine is a stick car too.
on those long trips did anything feel dangerous on the curves on the interstates or highways or just doing 90 degree turns in City driving
Old 11-29-2018, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LsxS10blazer
on those long trips did anything feel dangerous on the curves on the interstates or highways or just doing 90 degree turns in City driving
Nope, you don’t notice the spool unless its really low speeds turning as in parking lots and such. Once you get over around 15 to 20 mph you won’t know it’s there. We never had any issues or noises drive on highways period.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nmass399

Nope, you don’t notice the spool unless its really low speeds turning as in parking lots and such. Once you get over around 15 to 20 mph you won’t know it’s there. We never had any issues or noises drive on highways period.
Thanks for that info
Old 11-29-2018, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a spool and drag radials. Not a daily driver but it's not a big hassle for me. I notice it a little on tight turns but I just plan a little in tight places.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I paid almost $1,000 for a Wavetrac when I got my 9". Ended up grenading it twice and swapped it out for a spool, I wish I did a spool from the beginning. The car is rarely driven and is setup mostly for drag racing. The Wavetrac was replaced the first time and repaired the second. Great company to work with but what a pain. I don't even want to think about how much it would of cost if I wasn't doing the work myself. I have so much more peace of mind now with a spool.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
I paid almost $1,000 for a Wavetrac when I got my 9". Ended up grenading it twice and swapped it out for a spool, I wish I did a spool from the beginning. The car is rarely driven and is setup mostly for drag racing. The Wavetrac was replaced the first time and repaired the second. Great company to work with but what a pain. I don't even want to think about how much it would of cost if I wasn't doing the work myself. I have so much more peace of mind now with a spool.
when it comes to aftermarket rear ends for our cars, i have only seen "failures" from moser parts......the only thing strange related i have seen is 12 bolt noise but thats all 12 bolts. why didn't you opt for the s trac after the first wavetrac went?
Old 12-03-2018, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

May I ask the reason why you are not pleased with the posi in the TA
Its not that I am unhappy with the posi,, in fact its staying in that particular rear which is coming out of my turbo car and going into the N/A Trans Am that my wife drives. having driven a spool on the street before and not minding it, a spool is one less thing to worry about. My car is a Manual car (TR6060 MH3 ratio converted T-56) and will eventually be pushed to over 1k HP, a spool is a no brainer in my eyes.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blk99camaro
Its not that I am unhappy with the posi,, in fact its staying in that particular rear which is coming out of my turbo car and going into the N/A Trans Am that my wife drives. having driven a spool on the street before and not minding it, a spool is one less thing to worry about. My car is a Manual car (TR6060 MH3 ratio converted T-56) and will eventually be pushed to over 1k HP, a spool is a no brainer in my eyes.
Thanks for that info.
I was thinking about doing the TR6060 conversion this coming year; did you notice a significant change in your gear ratios or is it hardly noticable
Old 12-03-2018, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for that info.
I was thinking about doing the TR6060 conversion this coming year; did you notice a significant change in your gear ratios or is it hardly noticable
I actually haven't gotten the car all the way together, but I imagine it will be noticeable going from a 2.66 1st to the MH3's 2.29 1st
Old 12-04-2018, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Floorman279
when it comes to aftermarket rear ends for our cars, i have only seen "failures" from moser parts......the only thing strange related i have seen is 12 bolt noise but thats all 12 bolts. why didn't you opt for the s trac after the first wavetrac went?
The Wavetrac is not made by Moser, I believe the company is called Autotech. They were awesome to work with unfortunately the unit did not hold up. And I wasn't making anywhere near the power it was rated to handle. I wish I never bought a Moser rear either, nothing against the product but their customer service is terrible. I called to get specs to set up the rear and no one could get me them. How is that possible, they build the rears! They also were no help trying to get the Wavetrac covered, had to call Bob from Brute Speed and help me out.

After having gone through two Wavetrac's I was done with any kind of limited slip. Like I mentioned the car is rarely driven and is mainly drag raced. Wasn't really a reason to not get a spool at that point. I don't regret it at all. Street driving isn't bad either, only time you really notice it is during tight turns.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

The Wavetrac is not made by Moser, I believe the company is called Autotech. They were awesome to work with unfortunately the unit did not hold up. And I wasn't making anywhere near the power it was rated to handle. I wish I never bought a Moser rear either, nothing against the product but their customer service is terrible. I called to get specs to set up the rear and no one could get me them. How is that possible, they build the rears! They also were no help trying to get the Wavetrac covered, had to call Bob from Brute Speed and help me out.

After having gone through two Wavetrac's I was done with any kind of limited slip. Like I mentioned the car is rarely driven and is mainly drag raced. Wasn't really a reason to not get a spool at that point. I don't regret it at all. Street driving isn't bad either, only time you really notice it is during tight turns.
you are absolutely right. says designed and manufactured in the us by autotech.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Floorman279
you are absolutely right. says designed and manufactured in the us by autotech.
It's a shame I didn't have better luck with it, I was very excited to be able to have a bulletproof LSD. I got the unit back in 2009 and I believe they have redesigned it at least once since then. The first time it went on me Autotech sent me out a new one even before I had the old one out of the car! They also replaced it with the redesigned unit. Second time I had to remove it, send it to them and they rebuilt it. All free of charge.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

It's a shame I didn't have better luck with it, I was very excited to be able to have a bulletproof LSD. I got the unit back in 2009 and I believe they have redesigned it at least once since then. The first time it went on me Autotech sent me out a new one even before I had the old one out of the car! They also replaced it with the redesigned unit. Second time I had to remove it, send it to them and they rebuilt it. All free of charge.
yea glad to know i didn't go with that unit.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Huge fan of my Detroit. Don't drive it in the rain, weekend car.

Search this Thread