Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Auburn worn out, options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Auburn worn out, options?

I have a 98 Z28 A4 2.73s, strictly a daily driver. My auburn clutches have worn out and it needs replaced, cheap as possible. This happened on my 94 as well and I just let it go, until it broke the spider gears and left me stranded, I'd like to avoid that. Now on that car I just swapped out the diff for a used one using the same shims and everything lined up, good to go. The problem is I'm have a hard time finding a 2 series unit as most are 3 series, and I'd like to avoid setup/reprogramming charges. I can do all the mechanical work, probably even stumble through the setup but don't have tools, same with programming. Would a new 2 series posi prevent full gear setup, as long as I didn't remove the pinion? What type would you recommend? If I went with a whole used rear what would be the cheapest way to reprogram the ratio? Would going to say a 3.43 drastically hurt my mpg(this is my economy car after all)?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

A different 2 series carrier would prevent full gear setup.
Is the car ABS only OR ABS & TC ? That only matters in the regard of the reluctor ring would be carrier mounted on a 3 channel ABS car.
Since it's stock economy car, find a Torsen carrier for it, they were used 99-02.

Most V6s' were 3.08 open carrier. 3.08 carrier is 2 series also. You'd lose the posi but you'd have a 2 series carrier.