Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Cheap 10 Bolt Swap/R&R Without Upsetting Gear Lash?

Old 04-22-2019, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cheap 10 Bolt Swap/R&R Without Upsetting Gear Lash?

Hey y'all,
I recently picked up a 3.43 rear end out of a 99 Z28 to swap into my 94 Firebird Formula. It's basically just the diff housing and gear carrier, all the accessories, brackets and axles have been removed. My plan is to swap everything it doesn't have from my current 2.73 Auburn diff into the new one. I already know ABS won't work because this was a 4 channel rear (no reluctor on gear carrier), but is there anything else I would have to pick up to make it fit that wouldn't already be in my car? From p/n s I've surmised that the carrier cross pin and bolt that locks in the axles swaps between the torsen and auburn carrier, can anyone confirm this? And finally, what are some relatively cheap longevity/wear items i can replace in this new rear end that won't require me taking it to a shop to reset the gear lash? Thanks for any help
Old 04-23-2019, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

The Auburns' pin is round, the Torsens' is a flat block referred to as a 'paddle'.
What is broken/wore out in the original as the reason you're doing this ?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
The Auburns' pin is round, the Torsens' is a flat block referred to as a 'paddle'.
What is broken/wore out in the original as the reason you're doing this ?
The cones in the Aurburn are completely trashed, the car only does one wheel peels. I also want to upgrade the gear ratio and i picked up the 3.43 rear for only $50.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

3.42s' were issued with 6 speeds and manual transmissions are not 'kind' to the little GM 10 bolts. I would suspect the 99 rear was pulled apart to get the backing plates to use on a larger aftermarket rear. Are the carrier and ring//pinion still in the 99 rear intact OR 'loose parts' ? If intact the setting of the 'gears' should still be okay OR they could've been 'impacted' and be 'noisy'. It's always a 'roll of the dice' to go with a used 6 speed rear. Being that you would be using it in an automatic car, that would not make anything of the 99 rear worse.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
3.42s' were issued with 6 speeds and manual transmissions are not 'kind' to the little GM 10 bolts. I would suspect the 99 rear was pulled apart to get the backing plates to use on a larger aftermarket rear. Are the carrier and ring//pinion still in the 99 rear intact OR 'loose parts' ? If intact the setting of the 'gears' should still be okay OR they could've been 'impacted' and be 'noisy'. It's always a 'roll of the dice' to go with a used 6 speed rear. Being that you would be using it in an automatic car, that would not make anything of the 99 rear worse.
The ring and pinion are still installed, and the teeth on the ring gear look to be in pretty stellar shape actually; rotating the pinion by hand doesn't produce any excess noise. I'm not too concerned about blowing it up myself, im running the stock valvetrain in my car with a lot of bolt ons, and ive picked up a TA cover to install.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

this wont end well..............
Old 04-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
this wont end well..............
Could you explain what you mean? The stock rear end has held up just fine thus far, 130k miles with no issues other than roasted clutches.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing 01ssA4 is implying that 10 bolts are not the toughest things to use. Make sure pinon preload is correct, set backlash correctly. I shoot for the middle, let's say spec is .006-.010" shoot for .008". Then check gear pattern once again shoot for middle of ring gear tooth. Vertical and horizontal. You may need to borrow a dial inch lb wrench if you don't have one but you can buy a dial indicator fairly reasonable with a magnetic stand. Plus you can use it for numerous other things automotive related. Don't run it unless everything does check out or it will not end well. That is my advice from the 6 ring and pinon changes I've done and all have worked flawlessly because these principles were followed to the nth degree.

Search this Thread