Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

i need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i need some help

i will be buying a rear for my car soon, most likely a 9 in. my question is, what exactly does a spool do? and what is the difference betweeen a mini spool and a normal spool. and what is the pros to having one? i heard that they are strong, but bad for street driving because they lock,

can some one educate me on this, or perhaps lead me in the right direction as to where i can read up on this

thanks

jimmy
Old 11-22-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone??
Old 11-22-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A spool effectively locks your axles together.....which makes for really crappy street driving, the car won't want to turn, the tires will chirp and chatter....it just isn't a street type part at all. A full spool replaces your carrier complete and the axles index into it.....a mini spool uses your existing carrier, replaces your side and spider gears and generally isn't nearly as strong as a full spool. Our bracket racer actually is easier to drive with a locker in it rather than the spool we had in it, and just as fast. Stay away from spools on the street......no gain, major pain.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help, now could you tell me more about a locker. my main concern is, i do not want to blow out the posi (i have been reading about alot of blow posi's recently) my car has over 400 at the wheels, and i will soon be doing heads. i dont drag race often, but when i do, i want to be able to dump the clutch, and not worry about breaking something

thanks for the help
jimmy