Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Yet another vibration problem I wish would leave

Old 01-21-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another vibration problem I wish would leave

I have a vibration problem at speeds greater than 70 MPH and would like to fix it. The car has been through many upgrades in the last six months so I’m not sure I know exactly where it is coming from. Two areas I have narrowed it down too and was wondering how to tell which one it was. Let me explain the problem and the areas and maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.

The vibration starts at about 70 MPH and gets worse around 80 MPH but doesn’t continue to get worse after 80 MPH. The car is a M6 and when I am driving 80 MPH I take it out of gear, let it coast, but the vibration is still there. I thought that it was bent wheels/out of round tire or an out of balance problem, but I had my new wheels and tires installed yesterday and the problem still exists. I don’t feel the vibration in the steering wheel, but in my *** and legs from the floor board. My side view mirrors vibrate badly when it happens.

The two upgrades that I suspect could be the problem.

1.Replaced all rotors with drilled and slotted style with new pads. New stainless lines all around and new studs in the front were installed. Could a rotor be unbalanced and cause it?
2.New U joints on the drive shaft and a front pinion seal on the axle. Also installed new axle bearings on the wheel side of the axle.

I suspect that the driveline is to blame, but I have not yet taken the shaft to check for proper balance. Could the pinion gear or yoke be installed wrong? Can you get a U joint off center to cause this? I didn’t do the rear end or driveshaft job and have had questionable work from the mechanic before so I wouldn’t doubt he did something wrong. Please help the best that you can to lead me in the right direction. If you need more info let me know. I want this problem gone.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd check the driveshaft first...my stocker was out of balance and caused a slight vibration. I replaced it with a Denny's driveshaft and the vibration is gone.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

It's impossible to get a u joint off center, unless you install the wrong one to begin with. It is most likey not your rotors. I would pull the driveshaft, and check out the ujoint, and have it balanced by a different shop.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have heard some say to rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees from the yoke to see if that fixes it. Is this a valid statement?
Old 01-26-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
I have heard some say to rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees from the yoke to see if that fixes it. Is this a valid statement?
You could try that, but I'd go ahead and get it balanced also, while it's out. It's inexpensive.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I'm about convinced that my driveshaft needs rebalancing, but no one in my area can balance an aluminum driveshaft. They say it is b/c they have no way to weld aluminum in there shop. What in the hell am I going to do?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

I had to buy a new driveshaft. LPE has a nice 3.5 inch for $250.00
Old 03-01-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE:

Unbolted the driveshaft from the pinion yoke and rotated it 180 degrees. Vibration seemed to almost go away. It's not nearly as bad as before. Now I'm going to have my driveshaft checked for balance soon.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

I have the same issue (I think)...I have a steel driveshaft and I have the same vibe problem. I tried the 180-rotation thing today and my friend who runs the shop noticed that the U-joint WAS off-center (we physically measured it) and pressed it back into place. None of that seemed to help it. I've rotated the tires to no avail so I dont think that's it. It's the same thing...comes on at around 70MPH and tapers off after like 80. Feel it in the frame (seat of the pants).

The funny thing with mine is it seems to get worse the more throttle I give it. It's almost imperceptible cruising but if I get on it it's pretty pronounced.

Does this sound like the same thing you had? Would it be worthwhile to get a new DS/rebalance the old one at this point? I'd hate to spend money to find out it's somewhere else in the rear. (I DID get my gears swapped a couple of months ago) What else could be out-of-balance and causing this kind of vibe?
Old 03-05-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by squirrels
I have the same issue (I think)...I have a steel driveshaft and I have the same vibe problem. I tried the 180-rotation thing today and my friend who runs the shop noticed that the U-joint WAS off-center (we physically measured it) and pressed it back into place. None of that seemed to help it. I've rotated the tires to no avail so I dont think that's it. It's the same thing...comes on at around 70MPH and tapers off after like 80. Feel it in the frame (seat of the pants).

The funny thing with mine is it seems to get worse the more throttle I give it. It's almost imperceptible cruising but if I get on it it's pretty pronounced.

Does this sound like the same thing you had? Would it be worthwhile to get a new DS/rebalance the old one at this point? I'd hate to spend money to find out it's somewhere else in the rear. (I DID get my gears swapped a couple of months ago) What else could be out-of-balance and causing this kind of vibe?
My problem is EXACTLY the same as yours. I did discover a tire that was just a bit out of round so I think that is the rest of mine. If I could find someone in my area to balance an aluminum shaft I would have mine done just for piece of mind.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered a HD driveshaft from Denny's last week and hope that fixes my problems. I also tried another used OEM aluminum driveshaft, but the vibration was still there. Now, I don't know the condition or balance of the other shaft so I'm still unsure if the Denny's will fix my problem or not. I'm so tired of this vibration that it makes me not want to drive the car very far if at all.

Can an overtorqued rear pinion yoke cause this vibration?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered a HD driveshaft from Denny's last week and hope that fixes my problems. I also tried another used OEM aluminum driveshaft, but the vibration was still there. Now, I don't know the condition or balance of the other shaft so I'm still unsure if the Denny's will fix my problem or not. I'm so tired of this vibration that it makes me not want to drive the car very far if at all.

Can an overtorqued rear pinion yoke cause this vibration?
Installed the new Denny's HD steel driveshaft today and must say I am impressed with the quality. It fits tighter than the stocker and I think that the driveline vibrations will be non existant from now on, but.....

I noticed over the last few weeks that my engine vibrates at idle like it has a miss or something. I can feel it in the car and even under acceleration. Damn, no SES light confirming this yet. I have brand new/gapped TR55IX plugs and brand new wires. I don't think it is an electrical problem, but mechanical. I suspect that I either have a bad motor mount or my ASP underdrive pulley I installed a month ago has problems. Anyone else have this problem as the vibration seems to be worse under throttle than at cruise or idle rpm speeds.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

i just purchased my c5 this weekend and am experiencing the exact same problem. I've got an extra set of zo6 wheels that im going to switch from the ta and start the troubleshooting from there.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

I too have this issue but I just don't see how rotating the DS 180 degrees will help. Don't worry I am going to try it though. I can't stand this vibration any more either. I'll update you with progress.

Brian
Old 04-18-2005, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

I have a vibration problem at speeds greater than 70 MPH and would like to fix it. The car has been through many upgrades in the last six months so I’m not sure I know exactly where it is coming from. Two areas I have narrowed it down too and was wondering how to tell which one it was. Let me explain the problem and the areas and maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.

The vibration starts at about 70 MPH and gets worse around 80 MPH but doesn’t continue to get worse after 80 MPH. The car is a M6 and when I am driving 80 MPH I take it out of gear, let it coast, but the vibration is still there. I thought that it was bent wheels/out of round tire or an out of balance problem, but I had my new wheels and tires installed yesterday and the problem still exists. I don’t feel the vibration in the steering wheel, but in my *** and legs from the floor board. My side view mirrors vibrate badly when it happens.

The two upgrades that I suspect could be the problem.

1.Replaced all rotors with drilled and slotted style with new pads. New stainless lines all around and new studs in the front were installed. Could a rotor be unbalanced and cause it?
2.New U joints on the drive shaft and a front pinion seal on the axle. Also installed new axle bearings on the wheel side of the axle.

I suspect that the driveline is to blame, but I have not yet taken the shaft to check for proper balance. Could the pinion gear or yoke be installed wrong? Can you get a U joint off center to cause this? I didn’t do the rear end or driveshaft job and have had questionable work from the mechanic before so I wouldn’t doubt he did something wrong. Please help the best that you can to lead me in the right direction. If you need more info let me know. I want this problem gone.
Anyone find a fix for this yet? My car does the same exact thing, Itstarted after I installed the 12 bolt and Torque arm. The garage readjusted the TA when I brought it back but it only helped a little- The vibration originally started at 60 not it starts about 70. Its annoying as hell!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car is at the dealer right now for repairs and we will see what the results are. I will keep you all posted.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Teching In

TTT..

My 99 Z28 m6 does the same thing and recently has gotten worse.. I noticed it more when i installed the ES Poly tranny mount.. I have the preload plate on it and was told that i should take it off since my car is lowered to get the proper pinion angle.. I might just get the 1LE mount cause i cant stand the noise/vibration.. (i think it makes the vibration a lot worse)

i am planning on getting the drive shaft balanced too..

hopefully it will soon be solved..
Old 04-21-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a similar problem after i put the car back together after my tc install......i rotated the rear u joint 180* and it's almost gone....i'm sure it has to due with the way everything was originally balanced.....it was almost like a hum that varied in audible volume as it turned......
Old 04-23-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE:

Had the car at the dealer for service due to leaking axle seals. They replaced all the seals and 1 axle bearing. The vibration in the rear is gone now, but I still have the vibration in the front floor board at my feet and in the clutch pedal.

Is it possible for my clutch to cause vibration yet not make noise?

Search this Thread