Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I think my posi is screwed, cheap options?

Old 01-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my posi is screwed, cheap options?

Ok, I've got a 97 A4 Z-28, and had the stock 2.73 gears changed out for 3.73 Richmonds (mechanic used Redline synthetic gear oil.) Car was a one-legger before AND after the change. It has 60K miles on it.

I just ordered some Nitto 555-r's to help out once I get the diff working, but here's where I'm screwed: I can't afford a $400 diff and install right now, so Eatons and the like are out. I have a few questions:

If I get a new carrier (hopefully the right 2.73 carrier so I can use my new gears) will the gears have to be totally reinstalled again? Or just use the same number of shims on each side and go?

Also, can I buy a used diff or is there a cheap (stock type) replacement I could use instead of an Eaton?

I just don't want to have to pay $300 for labor and $400 for a carrier so I can make the stock crappy 10 bolt work. Use is 95% street, 5% strip.

Thanks guys,
Chris
Old 01-22-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Zexel Torsen Posi on ebay for $85. No gears came on it, just the posi unit. I transferred my 3.42 ring gear over onto the posi unit. I also purchased a ring shim set for <$20 on ebay. It came with an assortment of shims. I already own a magbase and dial indicator so I didnt have to spend any more $$ on tools.

David
Old 01-22-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have a few whole rear ends for your car I will sell you one for a good deal you can replace the whole thing. I live in MI. if you only need the posi I can sell you that too. if interested I will look for a replacement for you. I have different raitios too. Most of the rear ends I have are no or little miles. Dave

Search this Thread