Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12-bolt whine...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange 12-bolt whine...

I'm seriously contemplating buying a Strange 12-bolt from Tbyrne's GP they have going on now. What I'm worried about though, is after doing some searching, it seems that these rears whine a lot after some hard lauches on a sticky tire with an M6. I can live with some gear whine, but don't want it to be unbearable. Does this shorten the life of the rear any? I know these are performance parts, and they won't last forever with the beating they receive, but I don't want it to take a crap on me after a few clutch dumps either. I don't go to the strip every weekend either, my car sees track action maybe once every 2 or 3 months. I've searched for an answer to this question, but came up empty handed.

Also, does anyone have the part numbers for the backing plates, so if I do decide to get the rear, I won't have any down time?
Old 01-30-2005, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Mine is pretty loud, But everything on my car is loud, If I wanted quiet I would get a Tercel..It got soo loud I decided to remove the Monsoon and go with a Alpine /JL Audio setup. I can now drown out everything... The 12 bolt is stronger than the stock unit but you can brake it.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, all of these 12 bolts will get loud after you beat on it.

With me it was wheelhops, and probably a bad misshift (grabbed 2nd at 88 mph ).
Old 01-31-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard that the Strange units are less prone to this than any others and have been told straight up by several people to avoid Moser altogether if getting a 12 bolt. A quick search on Moser on this board seems to verify that advice.....

I'm getting the Strange 12 with 4:10's later this year and the most common advice I'm getting in regard to this is to have it thoroughly checked before install and then drive it for a few hundred miles minimum before getting on it or launching it hard to allow a break-in period to set it. I'm hoping that advice is correct, all I need is the rear end AND my wife whining at the same time...............
Old 01-31-2005, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

the only reason the strange is less prone to gear whine after few hard lunches is because strange rear ends come with a solid pinion spacer while the Moser comes with a crush collar.
Marcin

Quick Reply: Strange 12-bolt whine...