Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Which 12 bolt to choose...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which 12 bolt to choose...

Strange and Moser.....Ive been reading a lot lately on posts about both rears. But what is the advantage of each? Which is the better rear end? Will they both mount up to stock sway bars, rear suspension, and brakes? I will be running roughly a 500hp 383 and want something that will hold up with my 3600 stall. Any problems with either of these? -thanks
Old 01-30-2005, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Both are stronger than the stock 10 bolt. Moser is high volume in sales, but factory set up and customer service are spotty.

Strange is more expensive and takes more lead time to get it, but set up and customer service are better on average.

Both will get loud after some track punishment, and both are susceptible to breaking at high HP with high rpm clutch dumps. If you're an automatic, this works out in your favor.

A 9" Ford is the most stout, but is the heaviest and with more parasitic HP loss. But it has a lot of conveniences and options. And as of this moment, I am not sure you can get it with 3 channel ABS.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:24 AM
11 Second Club

Thats what Ive been reading as well. Have there been 9inch rears that have failed to to high RPM launches in manual cars? I have heard about the 12 bolts doing this but not much on the 9 inches.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:35 AM
7 Second Club

just installed my moser 12 bolt with 4.10s.... all i can say is F@#$*$ awesome... fast deliver and setup great from factory... i may be just lucky... but i am very happy... howls very very little...but i believe that is common...

tyler
Old 02-01-2005, 01:32 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was just in this debate myself, i started a thread about it in the texas section. i was told that although the moser's arent setup as nicley from the factory, they are a better quality piece than the strange units. along with that and the fast ship time/low price is what compelled me to buy the moser.

i bought it from ls1speed.com and got their full package w/ all the upgrades ( 33 spline, 1350 yolk, and even the ta aluminum cover) total was only 2275$. i searched and searched and some had cheaper prices than that, but then i realized that was the price WITH the ta cover and everything else.

i ordered it friday, they said they would place the order w/ moser today and it should take 2-3 days for them to get out the door and on the way.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

Hmmmm, 'not sure most people wouldd say Moser builds a better quality piece altogether.

They are very similar...
Old 02-01-2005, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

I have had no problems with my moser 12bolt as of yet. I have not taken my car back to the track since the install though.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:16 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 9" is not bulletproof with a posi. A 9" with a locker or a spool is very strong.
If you're gonna go with a 12 bolt, go with a Strange. The setup of the gears on the Moser is spotty. And heck, Moser sold me a 9" with axles that are 10mm too long, yeesh.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

I bought a used Moser and found that I would need to alter the rear in order to keep my ABS. I need 3 ch inside the rear, I bought a 4 ch with axle mount ABS.
I did not like the cost of tearing the whole assmly down and price of parts and sold the rear.
At this time I saw a new Strange 3 ch rear a guy bought. It had sweet mount bolt set up for the torque arm - Mosers are known for bolts stripping and coming loose. Strange comes with an ABS sensor all ready to plug and go - Moser has a cast hole for the sensor which comes plugged. I read about Moser set ups being so - so and Strange being consistently nice. I'm buying a new Strange for the quality, the better mounting and I don't mind waiting a few weeks.
I have owned hundreds (really) of Fords and NEVER had a failed 9" Detroit Locker or broken case. If I had the power to justify, I'd give up my ABS and use a 9" - but mine is a street car that breaks stock 10 bolts - not a race car.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:47 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chief455
I bought a used Moser and found that I would need to alter the rear in order to keep my ABS. I need 3 ch inside the rear, I bought a 4 ch with axle mount ABS.
I did not like the cost of tearing the whole assmly down and price of parts and sold the rear.
At this time I saw a new Strange 3 ch rear a guy bought. It had sweet mount bolt set up for the torque arm - Mosers are known for bolts stripping and coming loose. Strange comes with an ABS sensor all ready to plug and go - Moser has a cast hole for the sensor which comes plugged. I read about Moser set ups being so - so and Strange being consistently nice. I'm buying a new Strange for the quality, the better mounting and I don't mind waiting a few weeks.
I have owned hundreds (really) of Fords and NEVER had a failed 9" Detroit Locker or broken case. If I had the power to justify, I'd give up my ABS and use a 9" - but mine is a street car that breaks stock 10 bolts - not a race car.
from what I though, you need a 4 channel for tcs and abs and a 3 channel for only abs.. ?
Old 02-05-2005, 06:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilstephsls1
from what I though, you need a 4 channel for tcs and abs and a 3 channel for only abs.. ?
I think an early car pulls the rear ABS (and TCS if optioned) from a single sensor mounted on top of the rear which gets it's signal from a posi mounted reluctor ring. 2 front + 1 rear = 3ch
My '95 had ABS/TCS and a single rear sensor.
Later design was improved to pull the rear ABS/TCS from a ring on each axle for more control. 2 front, + 2 rear = 4ch.
Depends what your car has, need to look...
Old 02-05-2005, 06:09 AM
11 Second Club

P.S. -
-Stephanie-
Will you marry me?

I work near Waterbury and drive through often and have NEVER seen you
Nice Pics!
Old 02-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Launching!

i would never buy a moser product again... i bought the thing and i whines leaks and maakes clunkes. go with strange..the extra money you pay is worth the head aache
Old 02-06-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go with the Strange, hands down a better built rear.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Does anyone know what shipping is on these rears? Was the 2275 someone said total with shipping? I'm buying a rear this week come h*ll or high water.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Bought my Moser from speed inc last year. Best investment ever, went in smooth, no whine. I highly recommend a Moser. (Violator) mine was quoted with shipping included.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:03 PM
CT Hotness

Originally Posted by chief455
P.S. -
-Stephanie-
Will you marry me?

I work near Waterbury and drive through often and have NEVER seen you
Nice Pics!
Well, I've had my car for only a year now and I dont drive it as a daily driver. Only pretty days and I honestly try to stay away from waterbury as much as possibly (i'm sure you know why).. where abouts in CT do you live?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilstephsls1
Well, I've had my car for only a year now and I dont drive it as a daily driver. Only pretty days and I honestly try to stay away from waterbury as much as possibly (i'm sure you know why).. where abouts in CT do you live?
hmmmm.... I wondered if you read my post!!
I totally understand avoiding the 'Bury!
I am just north of Torrington on the lake.
Work in Watertown.
My car has been parked since October 'cause like you, it's no daily driver
My 3 ch Strange rear is being built now.
I had a '95 with ABS/TCS and i am pretty sure only one sensor from the ring gear.
Are you in school now?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Doesn't moser use 4 bolts to attach the TA. I've heard some scary stories of the bottom bolts loosening up. Where as the strange uses 2 long bolts that are inserted from the top. That way if the nuts where to come off the bottom you still have the long bolts protruding from the axle.

For this reason alone I would go with Strange if your choice is a 12Bolt
Old 02-21-2005, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

i have a moser and it is great ,my opinion,its the only way to go