Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What can the stock drive shaft take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What can the stock drive shaft take?

Im doing a moser 12 bolt very soon, and planned on doing a driveshaft, but now i may have to rebuild my tranny so the money i had for the driveshaft might go towards that.. i have the 3 inch aluminum one that came stock on the car now and might leave it on with the new rear, how much can that thing take? im going to be launching on a M/T et street.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends on traction on the launch.... you spraying the 100 shot out of the hole?

the jolt of the nitrous out of the hole is what will break it sooner or later...

having said that.... i broke everything from the tranny back to the pumpkin spraying a 200 shot on her. the driveshaft actually threw a weight, but did not break
Old 02-03-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cokeroker
depends on traction on the launch.... you spraying the 100 shot out of the hole?

the jolt of the nitrous out of the hole is what will break it sooner or later...

having said that.... i broke everything from the tranny back to the pumpkin spraying a 200 shot on her. the driveshaft actually threw a weight, but did not break

i will not be spraying the nitrous out of the hole, i think im gunna have it come on in 2ND. i figure i will be hooking the car pretty good on a et street radial launching at about 4000-4500. im not going to be at the track that much until the fall... maybe just 3-4 times over the spring/summer so hopefully it will make it until september until i get a new driveshaft
Old 02-03-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you will be fine

we figured with the shot on mine out of the hole on 325/50/15 MT Drag Radials, that I put down about 600 ft pounds of torque...

it was enough to eat my tranny, throw the weight from the driveshaft, bend the torque arm mount, shred my 4.10s (stock rear)...

We KNEW it was going to happen, hence the new SLP torque arm, TH350 trans and moser 9"