Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My 8.8 whine is getting louder by time!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My 8.8 whine is getting louder by time!!

What could be the problem?... Now the whine is really loud when accelerate and there is a weird sound when decelerate(Sound like rubbing two rocks against each other). Do i have to change the ring and pinion now?
Old 02-15-2005, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
What could be the problem?... Now the whine is really loud when accelerate and there is a weird sound when decelerate(Sound like rubbing two rocks against each other). Do i have to change the ring and pinion now?
I've got the same problem with mine, I think I am going to drop a strange 12 bolt in. Mine kinda sounds like I am riding on huge truck tires, like super swampers or something, its starting to drive me crazy. The exhaust used to cover some of it up, but it has gotten louder. I've been told its the ring and pinion or a carrier bearing. By the way I am going with the same cam as you here soon, how do you like that one so far, does it have any lope? I am also going to supercharge it later on. So I'll have close to the same setup, I may have get some advice from you later on. Good luck getting that taken care of.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jake19_2
By the way I am going with the same cam as you here soon, how do you like that one so far, does it have any lope? I am also going to supercharge it later on. So I'll have close to the same setup, I may have get some advice from you later on. Good luck getting that taken care of.

The cam is awsome... The cam lope is not bad at all.... People hardly know im running a cam sometimes. It idles around 800rpm and it made great power N/A until i got the SC. I would recommend it for anyone who wants to run N/A for a while and then get a SC. If i found someone who wants a 4 channel 8.8 ABS i would sell this one and get me a 3 channel 12 bolt since i really need the ABS.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
The cam is awsome... The cam lope is not bad at all.... People hardly know im running a cam sometimes. It idles around 800rpm and it made great power N/A until i got the SC. I would recommend it for anyone who wants to run N/A for a while and then get a SC. If i found someone who wants a 4 channel 8.8 ABS i would sell this one and get me a 3 channel 12 bolt since i really need the ABS.

What gear ratio are you running being supercharged? I am trying to decide and I am thinking it would be best to keep it under 3:73 so I don't roast the hell out of the tires.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Who set the gears up in it? Sounds like either your backlash is to loose and as the bearings broke in it got worse, or your pinion is walking up and down. You need to drop the rear driveshaft off of it, turn the yolk to see how much of a turn you get before it locks in either way (also see if you can pull it in and out and if the yolk flops around a bit). That will justify backlash but not completely seal if its on or not (the way it sounds its either way off or its not the backlash) and the yolk deal will determine if your pinion is walking in and out or if its just loose.

Last edited by studlybilly; 02-15-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Oh and needing new R&P's is determined by closer examination of the ring gear. Could be ruined, might be salvagable. If the car was drove on for a while its already worn a crappy pattern into the R&P that will be a PITA to set to a point of not whining or minimul whining.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jake19_2
What gear ratio are you running being supercharged? I am trying to decide and I am thinking it would be best to keep it under 3:73 so I don't roast the hell out of the tires.
I have 3.73 gears in it now and it still roast the tires going in third gear.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

studlybilly,

Thanks for the reply.... I think its the backlash because i can feel the space in the rear while im on and off the gas pedal. It sounds like its getting looser by time. I stopped driving the car for now until i check whats going on behind the cover.